Camillus US Army steel pocket knife dated 1949

I'm a new member with a question on a Camillus US Army Steel pocket knife that is dated 1949. The military developed this knife in 1944/1945, and Camillus didn't start making them for the military until 1957. However, it's my understanding that Camillus made some prototypes in 1949 that are fairly rare. I'm trying to find out how many diffferent prototypes there were and how many were made. I picked one up this weekend at an antique store in Virginia, and posted it on the US Militaria forum for Edged Weapons. One of the members there recommended this forum as a possible source for information. Here are some pictures:

Camillus49x.jpg

Camillus49y.jpg

Camillus49z.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote from this topic http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/833206-Camillus-Cutlery-knife-giveaway!
Camillus began manufacturing the stainless steel 4 blade utility knife (#5693 pattern) in 1949. I located the original records and they show that this knife was made to U.S. Army specification "17-170A". Drawing 2-9-62 was referenced on the card. 1949 was the first time that this knife was made and the year was stamped on the blade. These knives are very rare and I have only seen two or three in the last 30+ years.

Tom Williams

Vit_213
Thanks for the quote; I didn't think they would be that unusual. Appreciate the help.

It seemed to me that on the photo liners is brass.
If yes, what year they were changed to steel?

Thanks for the interesting link. But the answer to my question, I have not received.
"some time between 1949 and 1973" is very large timeframe.
My Demo knife is dated 1960 and have steel liners.

Back