Camo pattern or solid color sheaths?

As a low-volume Kydex/Concealex sheath maker I am interested in what people think about the Concealex camo patterns. I have woodlands and desert, and have had no orders for either. Black remains the most popular, and I also have gray Kydex. Is a solid color actually better camoflage than the camo patterns?

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath page:
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/frames.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels
agocs_s@dd.palmer.edu
Madpoet (Mel Sorg, Jr.) Tribute page:
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/madpoet/main.html

I dunno.
smile.gif
Seriously.., I had a chance to order a camo sheath for the TTKK I'm having Rinaldi make for me, and just chose a plain black. A camo sheath seems a little to "armchair Rambo" to me..., sorta like getting a camo pen or a camo lighter.

OTOH, I bought an SRT recently, where I didn't have an opportunity to specify sheath color. It came in camo... and I actually kind'a like it. Not 'cause I think it'll better hide me (I think with something the size of a knife, you could choose pretty much any color and not detract from your camo.., excluding orange or red
smile.gif
), but because the camo seems to "fit" the idea of the SRT.

Hi Chiro75, I looked at your page and all the examples were black :>) I like the looks of the black sheath myself and from what you are saying it seems to be popular.

However, when you are trying to conceal yourself (and gear)--during movement the solid color will show up to the trained eye. During the days when I agressed evaders (oh those were the days) black gloves were easily spotted...far easier to spot than the camo'd hand.

Guess the choice of what color of sheath to buy depends on what you are using the knife for.

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

Is a solid color actually better camoflage than the camo patterns?

Not necessarily. But it doesn't have to be worse, either. In most cases there's very little difference. What counts most is how dark or light the object is, secondly it shouldn't have a contrasting colour.
A pattern has to consist of large enough fields so they're seen as different and won't blend. How far away could you see the pattern on a sheath? I'd say most sheaths are on the order of the same size as the fields on our newest uniforms, so subdividing it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Of course solid black is an anti-camouflage colour (it's even used as aircraft high-visibility scheme). I'd choose the solid gray instead.

------------------
Urban Fredriksson
www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/

"Smooth and serrated blades cut in two entirely different fashions."
- The Teeth of the Tyrannosaurs, Scientific American, Sep 1999

disregard.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 12-26-2000).]

I think that there are lots of us who feel a bit foolish wearing camo around civilization.
Don't misunderstand, I have camo gear and like it for bush work. But a knife is often used in other settings and camo at a picnic or BBQ screams "wanker".
A black sheath is not all that conspicuous in the bush and is not a neon light when you are in a "conservative" environment.
I am not criticizing those who feel comfortable in Woodland or Desert Storm patterns at the mall.....just offering a possible explanation for the lack of interest in camo sheaths
smile.gif

------------------
BrianWE
ICQ #21525343

Back