Camp hatchet

I think we will never see an axe, because ESEE will never use an axe/hatchet in the jungle.

I'm sure it's been said 10,000 times all ready - anything by Granfors Bruks ($$) or Wetterlings (less $$).

Check out the Small Forest Axes in the ~19'' range.

I bought a Roselli this winter and it's been fantastic for processing firewood at home. Should see lots of camping soon.

First post in the ESEE Forums!

+1 on the Estwing Camp Axe. For being such a little hatchet, it packs a wallop! I live in NY near the Adirondacks and it has performed for me every time I have been camping.

It chops really well and the price is awesome. It's light enough that I can carry it and a large chopping knife without fatigue (I've never really been an ounce counter anyway :p).

For my purposes it is perfect.

Tony

+1 all the above.

You can google Lee Reeves for his website. He makes some nice little axes.

Knivesshipfree.com has some Bark River Knives Customized 18" and 20" Wetterlings Axes.

I'm cheap, I use Estwing.

I've had an estwing for years without problems, so +1 there. I also have a Norlund small axe head that'll be getting a 19-23" handle soon for bigger chores, no precious experience with that one though.

Estwing is always a classic.

Looks like the Husqvarnas get pretty good reviews and seem to be decently priced!
:thumbup: +1 on the Husqvarnas. $40 hatchet or $65 axe with quality meeting (if not exceeding) Granfors Bruks. Check out the Wood Trekker reviews - lots of other axes on there as well. Simple, honest, no hyperbole.

I like the Fiskars axe, esp. at the price point, and their splitters are great for processing big trunk-rounds after a storm knocks over an old titan of a tree.

I'm personally not a fan of the weight-to-performance ratio on Estwing but they are indestructible and USA...

But my favorite tool for hatchet-work is my 15" 22oz HI Vojpuri khukuri :cool:

Another vote for Estwing. I recently bought two of the 26" Campers Axes, for my son and I. Unless you're backpacking with it, the extra length is more efficient and safer.
When I'm bowhunting, I carry a little Gerber Backpaxe. Very light weight and durable.

Jeff

Back