1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Camp Tramp Vs Ranger Rd7

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by ivan51, Mar 13, 2006.

1. fdchase

fdchase

Dec 17, 2005
    used a rd7 this morning to hack at a few limbs. the coat flaked and chipped just a little towards the tip but the blade worked well. still waiting for my RW and HR to arrive for a little side by side comparison.

2. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    would be interesting to see which does better

3. Cameron23

Cameron23

Jan 13, 2006
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394256

I already had my order in for a Howling Rat...sweeeeet.

I just got the RD9 (flat ground with orange micata slabs), so I haven't had time to wring it out yet. I would have gotten a Camp Tramp had I had the chance because I liked the handle better.

Looks like the new line should be ready anytime now, so I may have to order a 7 incher soon too.

Meanwhile here's the review of the RD9 I posted elsewhere:

RD9 is here. Sweet!

Observations on the RD9 so far.

Very even grind lines on the 9.5" flat ground blade. Black finish on blade has some smoothed out spots already (probably from factory sharpening/handling). Since this knife is not going to be a safe queen, no problem.

Edge profile is very even and has good sharpness for a field knife. The tip area of the blade from ~0.5" from the tip to ~half way down the blade will shave arm hair (though with difficulty).

Handle is very comfortable, though slightly smooth in finish. The allen bolt used in attaching the handles to the full tang may prove abrasive during extended use, we'll see. The handle is long enough to allow extended-type grips to facilitate chopping, but the bottom edge of the handle material was left very acute, about 90 degrees. This would definitely cause blisters and abrasion during this type of use. An easy fix with a small file.

The sheath is a standard nylon/Cordura-type belt sheath. There is a pocket for sharpener/multi-tool/survival tin on the front that has an elastic band at the top and a fastex-type buckle. The buckle is adjustable and has hook and loop retention on the male piece to keep the loose end secure. Nice touch the double securing devices. I could fit a 4AA Steamlight LED flashlight in the front pocket (with the buckle securing it)pretty big pocket.

The sheath has a rigid plastic liner. The width of the main belt loop is big enough for a standard military pistol belt. There are additional lashing points down the length of the sheath. The bottom has the standard gromments for lying off with paracord, and the snap attached loop (again large enough for anything it may be attached to).

The blade shape, including the finger choil and the slight hump on the spine of the spine of the blade, is excellent. The hump does not appear to be so acute to cause hot spots in use, and is actually in a good position to support a choked up grip.

Some possible modifications include smoothing out the edge profiles on the blade and butt ends of the micarta handle. Adding a LITTLE more texture to the micatra (though I'm going to be wrapping it in tennis racquet-type self abhering tape. With this handle color I may actually find a match!! ) Removing the small point near the lanyard hole, as I don't need a skull-crusher more than a spot to put a supporting hand.

Cameron23

4. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    thanks cameron23 for the review

5. skammer

skammer Banned by Moderators Banned

Jan 18, 2005
    You have been missinformed.

there is NO problem getting a hair popping edge on any swamp rat but I have had problems with an RD due its thicker edge. The issue is reversed actually. The rats hold that edge longer as well. that said the RD is a VERY decent blade for a good price and BTW you can sand down the micarta to fit your hand better.

Skam