camping knife: Spyderco Bill Moran vs Fallkniven F1/Hunter

Hello all,
I'm in the market for all around camping fixed blade knife.
There are two options I'm thinking about:
1. Spyderco Bill Moran FeatherWeight
2. Fallkniven F1 or Hunter
Will appreciate any help or comment regarding these knives.
Thanks in advance.
Ed

Very, very happy with my F1. Not a very big knife, but big enough for most camp chores, and it has a very effective convex grind. The VG10 holds up well, the blade has useful geometry, a nice point but sturdy.

I went with one of OS/T's kydex sheaths, and I can recommend both without reservation. I'd put the F1 in the same league as my Swamp Rats, and that's good company.

I have both.(Actually, I have one F-1 and two Morans. The dressier model with the mirror polished blade and leather cross-draw sheath and the satin blade with Kydex sheath both in the trailing point pattern).
The Moran is a pure no-holds-barred cutting and slicing machine. It is from slightly thinner than 1/8" stock and has somewhat of a distal taper down it's length. It has a thinner edge than one finds on most knives but is not so thin as to be weak. It is a real working knife.
Just an overall outstanding medium range knife.

The F-1 is much more robustly built when compared to the Moran. It is built in such a way as to make it nearly bomb proof IMHO. Full height flat ground blade of 3/16" stock that comes down to a stout edge. The edge is much thicker than the Moran but still cuts well. It's not a scalpel but is still quite keen. When you examine it you'll find it to be a capable knife.
If I had to pick a stainless steel production knife in the 3 3/4" blade range for a survival situation, the F-1 is on that short list.

Both knives are great choices for your criteria. Best of luck choosing just one. :D

If I had to pick a stainless steel production knife in the 3 3/4" blade range for a survival situation, the F-1 is on that short list.

I second that and I'd put it on the top of the list.

Thank a lot to everybody.

I see that F1 got more votes but I'm still thinking about Spydie.

2misque, which of two Morans is more usefull for general purpose/camping
and what you could say about it's sheath.

Thanks

I also have both and have gone camping with both of them.

I would defintely opt for the Fallkniven. It can do much more than the Moran can, and if you pair the F-1 with a small folder, the folder can take care of the slicing tasks. I also really enjoy my F-1's dangling leather sheath. It's robust and serves its purpose well.

The Moran is a great knife, but the F-1 is better suited to the kinds of jobs encountered in the woods.

Nitin

2misque, which of two Morans is more usefull for general purpose/camping

Actually, I like the mirror polished one with leather sheath for in town use and the Kydex and satin finished model for woods wandering and grunt work. Convex edges are a great cutting and slicing type of edge but the satin model with regular edge bevels is easier to maintain or re-establish on a camping trip. Plus, I'm not as concerned about it getting general usage marring that inevitably happens to a working knife.
So, my vote would be for the Kydex and satin finish model for camping merely for the sake of convenience.

It really all depends on your personal preferences.
Are you willing to chance getting a mirror polished blade scratched up and carrying the neccesary items to keep a convex edge maintained?
The Kydex sheath takes woods and weather wear and tear better than the leather model which will need some maintenance when returning home, whereas the Kydex sheath can be rinsed and tossed back in the knife drawer.

I'm growing to really dislike mirror polished knives just because of my reluctance to use'em and mar their beautiful finish. :rolleyes: :( :eek:

As an after-thought, I agree with neetones. The F-1 would probably be the better choice for camping. You can baton wood with that baby. Might not be so easy to do stuff like that with the Moran.

Both are well made knives but aren't equal in cutting performance.

The Spyderco is all-round a good cutting knife, period!

The F1 has a much thicker edge and while it is a survival knife it does a poor job at cutting wood.

If you like to use your knife for carving or making stuff from what ever trees or branches are available then don't get the F1. I had it and hated how poorly it cut wood. Even though the blade could shave hair, sharpenng a stick was a chore! Same goes for the S1, their edges are way too thick for my taste.

Try the BRK&T North Star or even an inexpensive Swedish Army Mora knife.

Collecter

I would go with the Moran. Get yourself a good hatchet to do your chopping with.

Paul

I had it and hated how poorly it cut wood.

My experience with the F1 has been completely opposite; I had a SOG Seal 2000, BM Nimravus M2 and the F1 out on a recent trip, and the F1 was far superior to the others in wood cutting. I found the convex grind quite effective at whittling the pine and aspen at the campsite.

I agree, the F1 is a better wood cutter than the SOG Seal 2000 and BM Nimravus M2 but it's not better than the Moran, North Star, SWAK and some others.

These knives (Moran, North Star, SWAK) though each are different, out-perform the F1 by a large margin IMO.

I suppose there is some skill requried but an inexpensive trial would be putting the $10.00 SWAK against the F1. When you see the difference you'll probably end up getting something more relaible like the North Star at which time you'd really be impressed.

The F1 is a good performer in a lot of other areas and makes a perfect hunting knife. It's just not the best wood cutter.

Collecter