Can anybody do a Mnandi vs. Proper Size Comparison?

(Note: I'm cross-posting this here from the Benchmade sub-forum to see varying responses).

I've been contemplating a 319DLC-1801 purchase for quite some time now...

I would appreciate if any of you Benchmade aficionados could do a thorough size comparison of the 319 proper & CRK Mnandi for me to evaluate. Personally, I deem CRK Mnandi to be an excellent sub-3" carry, however, I'd like a stout, tiny knife to beat on.

A slight visual drawback would be the lanyard-hole on the 319...

Also, could CRK Small 21/Mnandi sheaths fit the proper? Any other sheaths/pocket-slips to recommend?

I'll probably take them both to work tonight and get some better pics, but I can give you a quick comparison. The Proper is about 1/4" longer, 1/4-3/8" wider and .030" thinner than the Mnandi.

They are both stout, tiny knives you can beat on a bit, I'd say the Proper point could handle more "utility" usage. The Mnandi definitely has better edge geometry though, I keep meaning to regrind my Proper.

IMG_20180819_154431.jpg IMG_20180819_154513.jpg

~Chip

I'll probably take them both to work tonight and get some better pics, but I can give you a quick comparison. The Proper is about 1/4" longer, 1/4-3/8" wider and .030" thinner than the Mnandi.

They are both stout, tiny knives you can beat on a bit, I'd say the Proper point could handle more "utility" usage. The Mnandi definitely has better edge geometry though, I keep meaning to regrind my Proper.

View attachment 969064 View attachment 969065

~Chip

Thanks for taking the time to do a side-by-side.

Do both knives see food-prep?

Also, does the proper fit snugly in the CRK sheath?

Thanks for taking the time to do a side-by-side.

Do both knives see food-prep?

Also, does the proper fit snugly in the CRK sheath?

I have used them both for lunchtime duty, I find the point on the Mnandi much better for removing apple cores after halving :)

I forgot to check the sheath fit on the proper, I'll pull it out tomorrow and get back to you.

~Chip

View attachment 969064 View attachment 969065

~Chip

Nice Mnandi!!!

I have owned both but no longer have a Mnandi. I carried the Proper today as my office carry and just peeled and sliced an apple for the kids for dinner. The Proper has a decently thick blade stock but it works well as a slicer with a good edge on it. The Mnandi is a great knife too so you can't go wrong with either. In the end for me in that niche carry situation when I can't carry a larger CRK I just didn't want to be toting a $400+ knife. I work in a FED bldg so both knives you mentioned are technically no-go. I didn't want to risk "losing" the Mnandi.

I have owned both but no longer have a Mnandi. I carried the Proper today as my office carry and just peeled and sliced an apple for the kids for dinner. The Proper has a decently thick blade stock but it works well as a slicer with a good edge on it. The Mnandi is a great knife too so you can't go wrong with either. In the end for me in that niche carry situation when I can't carry a larger CRK I just didn't want to be toting a $400+ knife. I work in a FED bldg so both knives you mentioned are technically no-go. I didn't want to risk "losing" the Mnandi.

Exactly how I feel my Box Elder Burl Mnandi! I bought it only to never use it!

At your workplace, what blade do you carry?

Exactly how I feel my Box Elder Burl Mnandi! I bought it only to never use it!

At your workplace, what blade do you carry?
Usually I carry a small case slip joint or a Proper or sometimes a TC Barlow. In the past I have carried an Umfaan or Mnandi or Spyderco Dragonfly 2.

Back