Can anyone confirm if this is a real Bugout 535?

I got this for a bargain on an ebay auction but I just realised the blade grind looks odd, the s30v lettering looks like it's in the wrong place and I also couldn't find this colourway anywhere online. I'm pretty new to Benchmade and knives in general so idk what I'm doing please help thaaaaaaaaaanks. and the seller is yet to respond to me but seemed trustworthy

I see this is your first post, so I'll answer it this way, I do not know because I do not have any benchmades. But you have definitely come to the right place. Someone will be able to tell you this very easily. I hope you enjoy your stay here the fellas here are very smart and I'm sure within a few hours you will have your answer.
Joseph

Here's an excerpt from the description of another 'benchmade' he's selling if you want a chuckle:
"I have been asked already by some buyers where are the knives made and to be honest I never seen them being manufactured but for the price I originally paid at purchase I would hope they were made in America and not er um somewhere else. I don't think there is any way of telling a real one from a fake and especially saying I got it from a reputable seller. Maybe if you bought it direct from Benchmade in OREGON CITY USA, but even then, do they have a factory in China spewing them out in large numbers cheaper so that they then sell on for larger profits? I don't know and I don't trust anybody in this world, not when it comes to making money and profits.

My suggestion is buy a knife or whatever because you like it not because you are addicted to trademark names or authenticity ratings. Even the greatest works of ART have been painted by copy artists and fooled even the best critics. The knives I sell seem legit to me but I have no proof. Are the chinese copies using the same materials and are they the same quality? I don't know. All I do know is there are some sellers in Hong Kong who seem to be selling very cheaply what look like Benchmade knives."

Can't say for sure but it doesn't look like there's a foam insert in the box. It also looks like the axis lock tag thats always under the clip (at least on every one I've ever purchased) is missing entirely. And based on that sellers comment you posted I'd be almost willing to bet real money that what you purchased is a knock off. I could be wrong though.

That's why if I want to buy a new knife, I buy from a reputable dealer. Knifecenter, blade HQ, a place where you know you're not going to get ripped off.
Sadly there's not even a real guarantee that buying from a reputable dealer is safe anymore. I've been reading a lot of horror stories about people buying knives at reputable dealers that have accepted fakes as returns only to resale the fake as a genuine product.

Here's an excerpt from the description of another 'benchmade' he's selling if you want a chuckle:
"I have been asked already by some buyers where are the knives made and to be honest I never seen them being manufactured but for the price I originally paid at purchase I would hope they were made in America and not er um somewhere else. I don't think there is any way of telling a real one from a fake and especially saying I got it from a reputable seller. Maybe if you bought it direct from Benchmade in OREGON CITY USA, but even then, do they have a factory in China spewing them out in large numbers cheaper so that they then sell on for larger profits? I don't know and I don't trust anybody in this world, not when it comes to making money and profits.

My suggestion is buy a knife or whatever because you like it not because you are addicted to trademark names or authenticity ratings. Even the greatest works of ART have been painted by copy artists and fooled even the best critics. The knives I sell seem legit to me but I have no proof. Are the chinese copies using the same materials and are they the same quality? I don't know. All I do know is there are some sellers in Hong Kong who seem to be selling very cheaply what look like Benchmade knives."
There are just so many red flags here that—yea, I wouldn’t “er um” trust this person as far as I could throw them. But you knew that already. How much did you pay for this?

Looks fake to me. The blade grind is all wrong in my opinion. The marking look off as well.

I think it's a fake. I've never seen a Benchmade clip that clean. I think they just dump them in a big bin at the factory, because they always have a slightly banged around look straight out of the box. Excluding that even, it still looks too glossy.

Pictures aren't real clear, but it has some problems. I can't say 100% , but I wouldn't have bought it from what I can see. The grind is off, it looks like the butterfly is off in relation to the grind. I'd say a fake.

Wish is a well known seller of counterfeit knives made in China. They have been kicked off some Amazon platforms.
Rule of thumb, never buy a current in-production knife off E-Bay. At least not without running it by BF first.
Benchmade, Cold Steel, SOG, Spyderco are all heavily counterfeited. I have 3 Bugouts all bought from Authorized dealers.
The hassle and disappointment of having thrown money away on a counterfeit to me is far greater than whatever I would
have saved in price.

Last edited:
Its fake. The "c" on the benchmade blade logo is huge (dead giveaway) and the clip screw inserts are brass instead of black. Sorry bud

Back