Can ATS-34 be handworked?

I'd like to try my hand at knifemaking; I've drawn a little plan for a small, simple dagger and was wondering if ATS-34 would be a good steel to use. I don't have a bench grinder, just files and a Dremel. I'm also planning on using either linen Micarta or ebony wood for the grip scales. Can these be worked easily with a Dremel as well? Also, will I be able to heat-treat the steel afterwards with maybe a blowtorch or something? I'm a total beginner, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Asha'man

------------------
Ó caíde sín don té sín nach mbaíneann sín dó.
"Since it’s no one’s concern, then no one should care."

You'll have so send the ATS-34 out for heat treat. Carbon steels can be heat treated with oxy/acetylene torches, but stainless steels need specialized gear. Yes, you can work ATS-34 with files, as long as it is annealed. You can file your handle materials as well. Dremeling handle material would take forever! I hope you have a drill press for drilling holes. If not, take things SLOW with a hand drill, and do everythign you can to drill straight. A drill press is more important than a grinder!

Good luck Asha'man. If you use the search function on this forum, you'll get tons of info you need. Search things like "hand filing blades", "finifhing handles", "knife making", etc.

------------------
"Come What May..."

as crayola said you can work anealed(soft) ats-34 with files no problem. if you send the filed blade with a few bucks for shiping i will send it out with my next batch for heat treat. 814 3rd st,#H santa monica ca, 90403

------------------
Laurence Segal www.RHINOKNIVES.com

I prefer to do my own heat-treating and so far have had good luck using O-1 steel. I also like the patina that carbon steel blades get with age and use. Using the search function here will turn up great info on heat-treating and tempering different steels. Good luck, let us know how it goes!
smile.gif

Where can I get O-1 steel? Is it pretty high carbon, holding an edge well?

Rhino: That'd be great, once I order the steel, file the blade (yipes!) and so on. Do you do beadblasting, too? I really like the way it looks, and would like my blade to be finished that way.

I was planning on ordering my steel and Micarta from www.kovalknives.com. Do they have pretty good service? Are the prices competitive? They're the only ones I've found, so I've had to go by their prices and descriptions. Thanks in advance for any more info!

Asha'man

------------------
Ó caíde sín don té sín nach mbaíneann sín dó.
"Since it’s no one’s concern, then no one should care."

there is a list of suppliers in the f.a.q.s i belive. i hav'nt orderd from koval. i get large amounts from wwwadmiralsteel.com though they take small orders. also K&g 1-800-972-1192 both have ats-34 and 0-1. pricing is fairly competive.

------------------
Laurence Segal www.RHINOKNIVES.com

Back