Can employers charge for W2 forms?

AmadeusM

Banned
I have not received mine in the mail, and it appears that it was lost in the mail.
Therefore, I contacted my former employer for a reprint, and they told me that since I don't work for them anymore, that I have to pay 5 bucks. Pocket change, yes, but can they do that?

Thanks.

It's a fairly common practice to charge for reproducing W2s.

It Be The Law To Give You A W-2 When You Need It. I Suggest Walking Into Yhe Office With Dancing Balis And Cause Some Minor Bloodshed While Giggling... People Pay Attntion To That.SOUNDS RIGHT DON'T IT?
love, Hugs And Primal Screams,SIGNED- Me, Vampire Gerbil:jerkit:

Keep in mind that most employeers don't do their own payroll anymore. With all the laws and records requirements and reporting surrounding payroll these days, it's just become way to complicated. Add in a few employees with child support payments, garnishments, etc., and it gets very tricky very fast. Doing payroll has become a bit of a special expertise. Employeers with less than about 250 employees generally find it easier and cheaper to contract payroll processing out. This is why one in six employees in America is paid by ADP, the leading payroll processing firm in America.

But, payroll processing firms don't work for free. They charge the employeer for every piece of paper produced and every service performed.

So, when you request a duplicate W2, ADP will charge your former employeer for producing that. (They charged your employeer for producing the first one, by the way, but, because it's outside of the normal process flow, producing the duplicate will cost more.)

Years ago, I worked for a firm that went bankrupt. Some people wondered if we'd even get W2s. But, the W2s did come. ADP sent them. The processing of one W2 per employee had already been paid for as part of the payroll processing fees the company had been paying ADP all along. One person, however, lost his and getting a duplicate from ADP was difficult (since he wasn't the person authorized in ADP's files to sign such requests) and cost something like $20.

Chances are that even at $5, your former employeer is still subsidizing this for you.

BTW, a typical blank W2 form and envelope costs eighty-two cents. And posting it costs thirty-seven cents now. So, that's a $1.19 right there.

Hey, you can always call the irs, and tell them that your former employer is refusing to givve you a w-2..That will speed up the process.

Hey, you can always call the irs, and tell them that your former employer is refusing to givve you a w-2..That will speed up the process.
I think you can also file for an extention if the employer doesn't mail you the W-2 forms on time. That'll likely get noticed at the IRS office.

I can't imagine them not sending you another W-2 form for free. Unless they gave it to you in person or have a delivery confirmation that you received the first one. Cheap bastards.

-Bob

Dijos said:

Something similar to that worked. :thumbup:

It seems that in this country a significant number of folks need to be periodically "reminded" to do their job correctly and honestly.
No wonder we have the highest per capita number of lawyers in the world.

Back