Can G10 be bleached?

Hi Guys,
I know that G10 can be dyed fairly well but I want to do the opposite, bleach the black G10 to gray... Has anyone tried this? Does it do harm to the integrity of the material? Like making it bristle? Or maybe it will melt? Any inputs would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure but you could dab a bit on the inside of a scale to see what happens without risking much.

Raw, unfinished G10 is usually a clear or white.

If you have access to a sonic cleaning tank, that will take off the dye of the G10 too.

I have the original scale on the paramilitary that I want to make it look gray or old/beat up... Not sure the best way to do it

You should bead blast it.

Gives you an amazing effect, dulls it right down (I stole this image!)

The answer is yes and no... i soaked the scales hoping to lighten/fade the original black color; soaked the scales in bleach for 24 hours and couldn't tell if the bleach did anything from looking at the scales in the bleach, scales still black and bleach is still the same color... pictures below.

I rinsed the scale thorouly and when dried it looks about the same... I then took a scotch bright (the paint remover type) to roughen the surface a bit and the fading become more pronounced,... sweeet! it looks if the knife was left under the sun for years and that's a lot closer to what I want, a weathered look and it matches the stone wash blade really nicely. :) ps... I acid etched the screws and shaped and stone washed the clip as well to tie in the overall aesthetic.

This is after 24 hours in the bleach, didn't look a bit different...

The results: It doesn't show as well in pictures but the fading is a lot more pronounced

Prolly depends on quality. I ran a g10 camillus through the dishwasher and the scales lightened up ever so slightly.

Prolly depends on quality. I ran a g10 camillus through the dishwasher and the scales lightened up ever so slightly.

The answer is yes and no... i soaked the scales hoping to lighten/fade the original black color; soaked the scales in bleach for 24 hours and couldn't tell if the bleach did anything from looking at the scales in the bleach, scales still black and bleach is still the same color... pictures below.

I rinsed the scale thorouly and when dried it looks about the same... I then took a scotch bright (the paint remover type) to roughen the surface a bit and the fading become more pronounced,... sweeet! it looks if the knife was left under the sun for years and that's a lot closer to what I want, a weathered look and it matches the stone wash blade really nicely. :) ps... I acid etched the screws and shaped and stone washed the clip as well to tie in the overall aesthetic.

This is after 24 hours in the bleach, didn't look a bit different...

The results: It doesn't show as well in pictures but the fading is a lot more pronounced

That looks sooo sweet

i heard that when you dye g10 you need to get it to a temperature right around Boiling... perhaps if you boiled the scales in bleach?

would probably smell HORRIBLE....

i heard that when you dye g10 you need to get it to a temperature right around Boiling... perhaps if you boiled the scales in bleach?

would probably smell HORRIBLE....
I definitely do NOT recommend boiling bleach unless you want to die from suffocation at worst and suffer severe chemical burns to your lungs at best from the inhalation of chlorine gas.

Do not, I repeat do NOT boil bleach!!

RE: Bleaching color from G10

Results would be dependent on how the color was applied to the G10. Typically G10 is manufactured using colored fabric and epoxy resin. I would think you would have zero luck bleaching typical G10 as described above as the fabric color is completely encased in the epoxy resin.

If on the other hand the G10 was dyed after it was laminated you could have some success removing and or reducing the color using techniques similar to the examples given in the instructions for the polyester die by Rit DyeMore For Synthetics (Rit Color Remover).

Back