1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I baton a Victorinox?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by Emm, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Emm

Emm Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 9, 2018
    wass6p
    I have a Victorinox Rangerwood 55, and its currently my own knife (and therefore my pride and joy), so I don't want to risk breaking it. But on that same note, it was expensive (for me) and I don't want to buy a new knife just to put this one outta action. Though its a fold knife, it does lock straight. Would I be able to baton it and other bushcraft things or is that risky territory for breaking my blade?
    thankss

TonySal likes this.
  2. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger

Jul 14, 2012
    Why would you do that?

Use it to carve a proper wooden wedge and carve out a nice baton and whack away!

TonySal and clayton c like this.
  3. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    Yes, you can. As long as it was blessed trice by Odin. As well as carried through the swamps of Ethiopia and across the Tundra of Mexico. Only then can you baton with it.

TonySal and palonej like this.
  4. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    Welcome to the forum, Emm.
    The short answer is NO. Your knife has a very capable saw ( for its size) use it. If you must baton, buy a fixed blade knife.
    Hang around this forum for any length of time and you will think nothing of spending 100$ on a knife. ;):D

TonySal likes this.
  5. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If you INSIST on trying it, which is probably gonna happen...then make sure that the blade is loose and NOT locked. In that way, you can keep all of the force on the top of the spine...without putting undue pressure on the lock itself.
    Of course, the previous posts are correct...buy a proper fixed blade.

6. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    But the blessing by Odin has to have been on an even day of the calendar with a full moon.

TonySal, palonej and McFeeli like this.
  7. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    You could with very small pieces of soft wood but I don’t think it’s worth it. That’s a great knife you’ve got and will serve you well with all it’s intended uses. Batoning...not so much.

Emm likes this.
  8. Emm

Sep 9, 2018
    Good thing I it's called Muninn then eh? I'll take that as a firm no ahah (can't be the only one who names cars and knives right... Oop)

9. Emm

Sep 9, 2018
    Looks like I've got another expensive hobby to add to the collection

10. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    No you can’t baton with a folder unless you are trying to destroy it. You can find used fixed blades here on the exchange that can take serious beatings for very reasonable prices. I would recommend something like a becker bk9. Or for the lowest cost an Ontario ranger or sp53.

11. popedandy

popedandy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2006
    It would probably work okay on chocolate pudding. Maybe okay on soft cheese. Hot dogs, you should be okay. Might want to use a fixed blade for anything tougher than that.

TonySal, palonej and Rich S like this.
  12. tallowwaters

tallowwaters Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2015
    This obsession with batoning. There has been a tool that existed for many a year to keep knives intact when a log needs cleaved, and it's called a hatchet. Hatchets and folders can exist in total harmony together without much overlap in their intended uses.

mnblade, Ace Rimmer, James Y and 3 others like this.
  13. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Short answer. Never baton with folding knives.

hexenjager likes this.
  14. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Please don’t.

JB in LV likes this.
  15. Emm

Sep 9, 2018
    Since the overwhelming majority is 'no, please put the knife down', I'll look into getting a hatchet, or maybe a mora. Thanks!

tallowwaters likes this.
  16. mtoolman

mtoolman

Sep 1, 2018
    I have seen even fixed blades get destroyed by battoning.

jackknife likes this.
  17. mtoolman

mtoolman

Sep 1, 2018
    Best thing for processing woods would be getting a small axe or hatchet.

18. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Or even a small folding saw from Silky or Fiskars. You. can cut, split and quarter wood with a saw with no banging or chopping. A saw is lightweight and quiet, takes way less calories to use. Not to mention safer. The saw on your SAK will work very well.

Lots of youtube videos on splitting wood with a folding saw.

19. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I will go against the grain a little in that not all batoning is the same. It seems like some people think batoning is starting with a club and beating the hell out of the spine, and for some blades it is. For the Vic, you would do a lot lighter tap and hit it more times. You would use a wedge to finish the split with or without the blade still in the wood to finish it off.

Leave the blade unlocked as having it locked can mess up the lock and stop pins.

As mentioned, a fixed blade is a better idea and there are fixed blades that are better for batoning than others. Still, the wedge on the back of the spine or to split the wood is easier on the knife and sometimes easier in general. Start a split with a blade is completely reason for most quality knives if done carefully.

Of course, there are plenty of different ways to process wood. I prefer knives and saws over axes if I'm packing it in simply because axes are heavier and more clunky to carry but they are a lot of fun around the home area or where I don't need to carry it for miles. It can also be argued that batoning is safer than an axe because you're not swinging that sharp implement around. I've recently started trying out a lightweight tomahawk and my opinion may be changing as you can store them separate so the odd L-shape isn't a bother.

Ultimately, find what works for you and you enjoy.

Yonose likes this.
  20. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Definitely go for it.
    Ugh