Can I caustic blue INFI?

crowbardog

Gold Member
Nothing fancy. Set up for caustic bluing carbon steel firearms and am curious if INFI will take it? Should I just try? I think my battle saw would look awesome with a blued finish.

Any input is appreciated. May just go for it.

Nevermind. Did a search and found what I needed to know. Feel free to delete, mods. Sorry for the bump.

Thank you, u812. That's kind of what I expected and then what I read. Next time I'll use the blade forums search feature first.

I have always said that if everyone always used the search there would not be many new threads and no new info would pop up. I have seen other internet forums shut down because every thread that popped up there were people complaining that they could have used the search. Before long no new threads were posted.
On another note a blueing that takes to stainless might work. I had an old Winchester bolt action made back in the 30s with a stainless barrel. Had to be one of the first. Marked smokeless powder and stainless steel barrel. Anyway the barrel was blued. It was a deep shiny brown blueing. I have never seen another like it. Wish I could remember the model #.

I've been pondering the idea of an acid dip, spent brass stonewashed for awhile now. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

A buddy of mine once told me that most Remington 700's chambered for magnum cartridges actually used stainless barrels and that he has to use different blueing salts in his tank when he messes with them. I know INFI isnt "stainless" but I bet it would work with the right salts.

oxypho works good but black magic works better, especially on sr101.. and yes infi can be hot blued. comes out quite nice in fact while SR101 comes out damn near black.

oxypho works good but black magic works better, especially on sr101.. and yes infi can be hot blued. comes out quite nice in fact while SR101 comes out damn near black.

I need to find more info on how to do this. I have a 1311 that needs stripped and blued in a big way. :D :thumbsup:

Okay so a month later to the day and I remembered what I was going to do. I didn't get to the INFI (yet). But here is what I believe is a SYKCO 511 that I had received in a grab bag last year. I am not a huge fan of the hammered green finish, and unfortunately had to remove the Res-C from it before it went in the tank. But here is how it turned out. I like it.

image1(1).JPG image3(1).JPG
So it's a matte blue which generally means black. It was sanded to get out the mild machine marks and I tried to keep the saber grind visible. Then laziness got the best of me and it got blasted with playground sand. That was then rubbed down with 0000 steel wool under running water and caustic blued. It's a lot smoother than it looks but ironically looks a lot like a black offering from Busse.

Thinking of a stacked leather handle with black steel for the tube fastener will look sweet. The INFI will come, I promise. But I want that to me a 320 grit satin and we shall see when I get around to it. Probably another month. ;) Thanks to everyone that shared info and pics! I really enjoyed reading and viewing the thread. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

I’d love to Blue some sr101. The grips need to come off though right? I was hoping to keep them on but I’m pretty sure it’ll mess up the handles if any of the chemical gets on the micarta.

I’d love to Blue some sr101. The grips need to come off though right? I was hoping to keep them on but I’m pretty sure it’ll mess up the handles if any of the chemical gets on the micarta.
Cold or hot blueing? Cold is fine. Did my Ratweiler and it didnt affect the micarta at all. Not sure what kind of heat micarta can take though.

That’s good to know. I’ll have to mess with the Busses now. I’ve had good luck bluing firearms with any high quality cold blue. It’s all about the prep work and getting the metal warm to the touch works wonders.

That’s good to know. I’ll have to mess with the Busses now. I’ve had good luck bluing firearms with any high quality cold blue. It’s all about the prep work and getting the metal warm to the touch works wonders.
I usually wait for my wife to take one of her epic shopping sprees and I use the oven to pre-heat gun parts- to this day she's never noticed a thing HAHA!

Back