1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Can I see your knife

Discussion in 'Rick Hinderer Knives' started by Final Option, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Final Option

Final Option Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2012
    I just came home from a graduation party, and while there an uncle walked up to me and saw my pocket clip on the outside of my pants and said "can I see your knife ?" I reluctantly pulled out my Hinderer XM 18 3.5 inch non flipper with black G 10 scale with stonewashed blade and Ti lockside scale. He asked if he could hold it, I was apprehensive but handed him my knife. He asked how to open it and I showed him how the thumbstubs easily deploy the blade. He looked it over thoroughly and commented on the construction, fit and finish. He then had to test the sharpness on removing some arm hair. He asked me where one could find a knife of this quality and heft. He said he never saw a knife built like this and saw the Hinderer name on the Ti scale. I told him how difficult it is to find and purchase this knife. He said I don't know how much it cost you, but I know quality when I see it and whatever you paid it was well worth it and is a wonderful knife to own.

He is 75 years old and a retired machinist. I did not cut anything with it today, but the conversation and connection with my uncle was priceless!

2. Jaytaylor

Jaytaylor

Feb 9, 2012
    Great story, thanks for sharing.

3. RDA

RDA

Aug 6, 2010
    Great story, nice to meet another person that appreciates a well made knife.

4. BenLong1018

BenLong1018

Apr 12, 2012
    If only more people could appreciate the beauty of knives.

5. Hammer

Hammer

Oct 3, 1998
    Now that is a very cool story, thanks.

6. Marty Young

Marty Young

Dec 19, 2009
    Nice story!
    I was afraid you were going to say he dropped it.

7. chazmr

chazmr

Jul 3, 2011
    That was a great story. I was afraid the story would end with him cutting himself or dropping the knife.

8. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Great story, well told. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see where it went. Nice head nod at the end.

9. Need2Know

Need2Know Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Machinists recognize the quality and skill of their trade. Good story, now I hope he is on the quest to own one for himself. Even if not, at least you were able to share this moment with him.

10. dark impaler

dark impaler Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Thanks so much for sharing such a cool story. Could have easily been a commercial.

11. Final Option

Feb 11, 2012
    Thank you all for such gracious comments, there is such a great feeling knowing you have a Hinderer, if you have to explain it to others they would not understand. Carrying this knife now has elavated my feelings since meeting Rick, Rob and the crew at Blade. What they are doing in the shop and with people they come into contact is really special!
    Joe

12. 김원진

김원진

May 4, 2011
    nice story:thumbup: i too thought this was going to end up with a " and then he dropped it, or and then he tried cutting a brick" :p

When i first met rob at a show, i didn't know enough about the Hinderer crew to really appreciate the brand. Though after being around the forums and seeing what they do for the community, armed forces and such, it really does give you a better sense of appreciation when you own a Hinderer. I hope i can make it to another show soon, or even better attend one of their classes or get together over in the buckeye state.

13. mamun1024

mamun1024

Jan 31, 2011
    Your uncle is a wise man. :thumbup:

14. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    I was blessed to have some Old, Wise "Men" in my Life as I grew up ...... sadly they have all passed and I miss them.
    You are indeed blessed to have such a Man as your Uncle. Enjoy your time with him.

15. Final Option

Feb 11, 2012
    Rubi I also have had elders that pointed me in the right direction, unfortunately some have also passed that is why I cheerish moments like the recent one with my uncle.
    Thanks Joe