Can I sharpen Masamoto KS Gyuto on Spyderco Tri-Angle?

I am thinking to buy Masamoto KS to my family, about 3 or 4 of them. However, my mother lives on another continent, so she needs to sharpen her knife herself. I trained her to sharpen knives on Spyderco Tri-Angle. Can you sharpen Masamoto KS on this knife sharpener using 30 degrees angle? Or I should order another knife sharpening kit for this knife?
Thanks a lot

Should work well. It is a 50/50 double bevel white steel blade. The ceramic rods on the Spyderco Sharpmaker will work well with that. The white rods will put a good finishing edge on the knives, and the 30 degree slots gives you a 15 degree-per-side angle which is great for a chef's knife.

The only question is what the factory edge is set at. If it is more acute, then the initial sharpenings on the Sharpmaker will establish a microbevel which will eventually become the uniform edge bevel. If the factory edge is more obtuse, then the Sharpmaker will create a shoulder bevel but not hit the apex, until the new edge is fully profiled to 30 degrees. In either case, it will eventually end up with a full 30-degree edge after enough sharpening sessions.

Does anyone know what profile does the knife blade have? Though I suspect it won't matter as I will use Spyderco Sharpmaker anyway :)

Back