Can I strip my blur scales?

Can I strip the black coating off of the Blur scales so that I can get them anodized?
If so, what is the best process of doing this?

Thanks,

-orangish ducktape

Don't know about anodizing, but I used media blasting to remove the black coating off mine. Unfortunately I used a large medium and it's taking a while to get them polished back down, but I work on it every now and then. Use a small media to blast them if possible or Dremel has some neat attachments that may do the job, but I haven't tried them.

1231111448.jpg

You can do as stated above. Or you can let the scales soak in Grease Lightening. I"ve done my flashligbts this way.

I slooooowly peeled the inserts out. Adhesive is intact and ready to put back in when I'm ready. Just be slow and steady.

If you're going to send them out to get re-anodized, most places will strip the old anodizing off before doing the new color. The place I was thinking about having some done does this.

If you're going to send them out to get re-anodized, most places will strip the old anodizing off before doing the new color. The place I was thinking about having some done does this.

True. Most places will sand or media blast before applying anything. They will re-blast it even if it had been blasted or chem stripped. It is cheap insurance that thier coating will stick.

There is some stuff I bought at Kragen/O'Riley that is called "Aircraft Paint Stripper" it is some foul smelling stuff, comes in a spray can and liquid goo.

It will strip paint and anodizing I think. I have used it on a honda valve cover to remove the crinkle coating that was on there.

Could you email me the place you were thinking of? I have not been able to find anyone that will do small scale anodizing.
Thanks,

-orangish ducktape

I'll just tell you up front that this place had (if I remember correctly) a minimum cost of $128 or $134. That is there minimum price. This is kind of why I haven't gotten anything done as the price "per piece" for only 6-10 pieces was to high for me.

Back