Can I trust Benchmade?

I feel like Benchmade sorely needs to learn about Six Sigma/Lean manufacturing because their rate of error in production is unreal, and that’s just the stuff that makes it out!

It’s bad enough when you have frequent QC problems on $120 knives, but when it’s on $300 and even $700 knives (see for example the SMKW 940 and gold class Bugout problems) that’s just indefensible.

It’s bad enough when you have frequent QC problems on $120 knives, but when it’s on $300 and even $700 knives (see for example the SMKW 940 and gold class Bugout problems) that’s just indefensible.

i hadn’t heard of any issues on either of these two knives. what were the problems?

I don't disagree (although I don't know the examples you cite), however I recently bought a Spyderco Ikuchi and they can give you a nasty cut when closed. A protruding tip, especially a needle-like one, is a huge design flaw, so is the flipper that slices your finger. Not to mention the Paysan issues, which is their most expensive model to date I believe.

My point being I don't hear people crying that the sky is falling or rhetorically asking if they can trust Spyderco or not. I'm not defending Benchmade on all counts but I do find that the Benchmade fans seem to be a noisy bunch.

i hadn’t heard of any issues on either of these two knives. what were the problems?
So the SMKW dealer exclusive was a CF 940-1 with I believe a 20CV blade, there were numerous reports of overall terrible grinds and other QC issues, the knife was like $320, I could be mistaken on the dealer but it was the red and black 940 with the CF scales and coated blade.

The gold class 535 from last year was uncommon to see but there is at least one report of bad tolerances/blade play, I personally handled one at a well know brick and mortar dealer and it had both a bad grind and blade play, not OK for a knife that costs $620...

I don't disagree (although I don't know the examples you cite), however I recently bought a Spyderco Ikuchi and they can give you a nasty cut when closed. A protruding tip, especially a needle-like one, is a huge design flaw, so is the flipper that slices your finger. Not to mention the Paysan issues, which is their most expensive model to date I believe.

My point being I don't hear people crying that the sky is falling or rhetorically asking if they can trust Spyderco or not. I'm not defending Benchmade on all counts but I do find that the Benchmade fans seem to be a noisy bunch.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a Benchmade fan, but things like these QC and tolerance issues on their most expensive models and exclusives does warrant a “wtf?” at the very least. I don’t know about this slew of post and threads about Benchmade’s validity though, that’s more of a trend that’s following on the heels of the recent group of Benchmade’s controversies. Spyderco may not be seeing such a backlash because of the multiple price ranges and materials one can get in lower ranges. Lower prices seems to make qc issues easier to swallow.

Posted on communist China electronics running an os from a company that actively works against your privacy, 2a and other rights like google., Microsoft, and apple. Thats why I just laughed at this post.

Benchmade has always been good to me. Great products made in USA that they stand behind. Do your thing. I'll do mine. I trust them.

Be careful they will 'attempt' to block your number! No joke.
What happened to the old Benchmade ??

Apparently, a long time well know/respected BM collector was red flagged by BM for private sales posted on FB and other private sites for selling knives at well below MAP.

Private collector. Private sales.

Or something like that.

Last edited:
Apparently, a long time well know/respected BM collector was red flagged by BM for private sales posted on FB and other private sites for selling knives at well below MAP.

Private collector. Private sales.

Or something like that.
What do you mean by red flagged? How can they stop someone from selling their private collection?

Yea, red flagged..might not be the best description..just hearing this myself.

Might be easier to read what I've read. A link to a thread w/ some unrelated subjuct..but its there if you read through..

will be through my registered account..I couldn't care less..left the brand over The Great Gun Chop, 2A/Donations and Crisis Management Fail , debacle..

https://www.benchmadeforum.com/topic/just-thinking-about-what-s-on-my-mind?page=212

Last edited:
Yea, red flagged..might not be the best description..just hearing this myself.

Might be easier to read what I've read. A link to a thread w/ some unrelated subjuct..but its there if you read through..

will be through my registered account..I could care less..left the brand over The Great Gun Chop, 2A/Donations and Crisis Management , debacle..

https://www.benchmadeforum.com/topic/just-thinking-about-what-s-on-my-mind?page=212
Yikes. These guys can't stop crapping their own pants.

I’m really not understanding ANY of the hate towards Benchmade. I’ve bought three of their knives now (valet shinola exclusive, 200 puukko, 555-1 mini grip) as well as their exotac crossover ferro rod and had almost no trouble at all. Even when I screw up myself I just call them up and they solve my problem every time. Super friendly customer service, super useful, fantastic quality. Also my 200 puukko (which is in 3v) has no problems. I can (and have) carve all day with it and it still smoothly pops hairs at the end of all that abuse.

And about the guns come on guys. Helping the police get rid of illegal firearms. Really?

And about the guns come on guys. Helping the police get rid of illegal firearms. Really?

They cut up guns. That's all some people see. Not the fact they were used in crimes, and were being disposed of. I don't know about you but if I had a choice to buy a gun and I could get one at a steep discount because it was used to kill someone, I'd pass and pay full price because I don't want to have something like that associated with something I own. Sure, the gun didn't actually do anything, it was the person pulling the trigger. But still... Just my feelings on the matter.

I don't own any benchmades, and probably won't. Just don't have any feelings for their products, but I won't talk down to anyone who likes them. That's why we have variety!

They cut up guns. That's all some people see. Not the fact they were used in crimes, and were being disposed of. I don't know about you but if I had a choice to buy a gun and I could get one at a steep discount because it was used to kill someone, I'd pass and pay full price because I don't want to have something like that associated with something I own. Sure, the gun didn't actually do anything, it was the person pulling the trigger. But still... Just my feelings on the matter.

I don't own any benchmades, and probably won't. Just don't have any feelings for their products, but I won't talk down to anyone who likes them. That's why we have variety!
To each his own, I guess. I picked up a Ruger 357 cheap when word got out that it had been used in a murder/suicide. When my gun nut friends freaked out over it I took decisive action. I carved two notches in the grips. :eek:

I’m sorry is that a measured and reasonable response respecting both your viewpoint as well as others? That’s not allowed.

To each his own, I guess. I picked up a Ruger 357 cheap when word got out that it had been used in a murder/suicide. When my gun nut friends freaked out over it I took decisive action. I carved two notches in the grips. :eek:
LOL. Awesome.

Lately it's been a gamble what BM will do. First it's the cutting up guns because no one in town had an angle grinder.

Now it's the steel ht with crazy numbers showing steel is most likely to soft.

I'm out Benchmade. I was a loyal customer, but your business is going a bit crazy as of late. I also find myself cautioning those I'm close with to avoid spending their hard earned money because of decisions you have made without regard to how it affects the customer.

All I've seen is avoidance, no taking responsibility or trying to make it right. It's sad, prove me wrong please.
4 pages of responses to this troll. What a waste of time.--KV

Back