can i use this honing rod on this knife ?

hello everyone i am new to this forum

i have this knife and i couldn't find the hrc (rockwell hardness level) of the knife anywhere the only information they give is that it is "Molybdenum Vanadium Steel"
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/GYNNSAM-Gastronomy-Guarantee-Molybdenum-Vanadium/dp/B00GUELB8U

so my question is can i use this honing rod with the knife above ?
https://www.amazon.com/Wüsthof-Knife-Sharpening-Steel-Loop/dp/B00009WDT8

i hope my question is explained good enough, thank you for all the help!!!!
if its the wrong forum please forgive me

Welcome. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that knife will be relatively soft, say somewhere in the 54-57 range.

The rod you show is actually a sharpening rod so it will be more aggressive and remove material. A honing rod will be much smoother and is designed to basically realign the edge and polish. I don't really use sharpening rods much but I would think it would work on that knife.

Welcome. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that knife will be relatively soft, say somewhere in the 54-57 range.

The rod you show is actually a sharpening rod so it will be more aggressive and remove material. A honing rod will be much smoother and is designed to basically realign the edge and polish. I don't really use sharpening rods much but I would think it would work on that knife.

first of all thank you for the reply, the honing rod which i have linked above is not ceramic nor it is diamond coated can you please explain why do you say its a sharpening rod ? thank you

first of all thank you for the reply, the honing rod which i have linked above is not ceramic nor it is diamond coated can you please explain why do you say its a sharpening rod ? thank you

Although the terms are used interchangeably at times steel rods are honing rods ... whether smooth or grooved they realign the blade they do not remove steel to sharpen a knife. Sharpening rods are either coated diamond or ceramic to remove steel. Cheap kitchen knives like that will respond to a honing steel for awhile but will need actual sharpening ... the honing rod will only work so long as it weakens the edge with use.

Sorry, I just the read description and didn't give the picture a good look. You should be good to go.

From the looks of your knife, it seems to be made from (probably) a Krupp steel, stamped - some call it "alphabet steel". It's pretty good, but kind of soft, probably around HRC 54 to 56. Therefore, a good honing rod is nice to have, so that you can realign the edge after every use. For that, like folks already said, you would need a smooth rod, one that does not remove material from the edge. A grooved rod ("sharpening steel"), diamond rod or ceramic rod will all sharpen the edge by removing material. Eventually you will have to properly sharpen your blade, and you could do that with one of the three, but not very frequently. If you get the blade with a good edge a honing rod will keep it going longer between sharpening jobs.

I use a fine steel on my kitchen cutlery which include high carbon stainless to Old Hickory carbon steel blades before use and only do a stone sharpening 2-3 times a year. Most professional chefs highly recommend steel honing before use.

R r0bz ,

Hardened Molydenum-Vanadium alloys are typically in the 56-58 HRC range, which is considered to be on the softer side of stainless steel. I think the general consensus among knowledgeable and experienced cutlery users is to hone knives that are of 60 HRC or below, reason being that the purpose of honing rod is to straighten bent or rolled edges rather than to sharpen.

Knives of hardness exceeding 60 HRC are typically stropped and/or sharpened very lightly on sharpening stones of very high grit size.

Disclaimer: I'm a noob. I have no clue what I am talking about. So take anything I say with a grain of salt unless you're on a low sodium diet.

Back