Can opener pics

I don't think I'm the only one that wants a can opener on their MT. If you use the can opener on your MT, please throw up a pic. Here's a common sight when traveling for me: Low salt black beans at a rest stop.
khqBr1YsKkMzhrEhXtbqKXa_tUCiU2OMNk6qQcQ2ZyamSbfWdJUj5wPvGdDcuME1xVOj3f2DF39dBBtWuSu9dtb0TLkWvAH5L9x_PGumZIxZ8u0KLWX1az6PX6aEu0-IQyXuK9FDlQ=w2400

Dl85ukoiSJdanz1rXfoX3DaXUx1VeRFNmgmnXFrnSbJtVAtvOh9Vu2KBYR0GXEzfJveuZaq4KwQAwo16Mf3Kws9tRit1_tuZnWefAPAYefMHXO1Z38h2hKj1YorD3k0ThSE6BkNrXw=w2400

Not for the intended task, but the can opener on a Vic makes a decent clam shell packaging opener with the right technique, and the can opener on my LM fuse has proven handy for all kinds of stuff.

The can opener is pretty much obsolete these days as most cans come with the lid opening thing. It’s definitely a good addition to multitool in wilderness setting, but for everyday tasks I really don’t see any use.

The can opener is pretty much obsolete these days as most cans come with the lid opening thing. It’s definitely a good addition to multitool in wilderness setting, but for everyday tasks I really don’t see any use.
For when the pull snaps off. :) Oh and larger cans still require an opener in these parts, it's only the smaller (regular) ones which come with a pull.

I thought the same thing until I bought a couple cans of Walmart branded tuna.... no tab to open. Can opener time. Probably cheaper to manufacture this way is my guess and most people are opening the cans in the kitchen. So, most will have a can opener on hand or you can use a SAK or MT.

I use the can opener on my SAK quite a bit. For some recipes I make at home, I need to open 7 or more cans with the can opener. I have a can opener with a crank on it, but I never use it, because the SAK's is simpler and is easier to clean afterwards.

There are plenty of cans that require a can opener.

Jim

That's the whole point of a Swiss army knife- not as good as the specific tool it's standing in for , but more than good enough to do the job- and it's always on hand
I agree! Unless the job at hand requires a small pair of scissors, in which case the Vic scissors are the tool of choice IMO.

Actually, thinking about it, the same applies to opening a bottle of beer...

While all my Victorinox SAK's have had can openers I was never thrilled with their function, and I rarely carry my SAK (a mid 90's vintage Champ) but I do mostly carry a Leatherman, and ALWAYS carry a P38 in my wallet... one surplus store I frequented in the late 80's would always put a small paper bag of P38 can openers into your bags if you spent more than $20 at one point I had about a quart of them!

Back