Can people over 18 carry knives with blades longer than 5.5 inches in Texas?

There are no length or type restrictions in Texas for nearly 4 years.
Yea and no. He is right. Under 18 is under 5”. Over 18 there is no limit. But you have to watch out. You can carry a knife in places like a bar. But over 5/5.5” is not legal. They treat it as a “deadly weapon” so while you can carry a 6” or 8” blade legally in Texas. You do have to be mindful of where you’re at. And if it’s ok to do so.

It falls under the 51% rule here. (If more than 51% of revenue is made by alcohol. You can’t bring a “weapon” in. Texas acknowledges any blade over 5 or 5.5” (I can’t remember the official ruling.) to be a “location restricted blade”.

I personally LOVE the Buck 119. I don’t edc it. But if I did. Just treat it like a handgun. I’d take it off and put it in the glovebox before entering schools, churches, bars. Things like that.

Last edited:
Yea and no. He is right. Under 18 is under 5”. Over 18 there is no limit. But you have to watch out. You can carry a knife in places like a bar. But over 5/5.5” is not legal. They treat it as a “deadly weapon” so while you can carry a 6” or 8” blade legally in Texas. You do have to be mindful of where you’re at. And if it’s ok to do so.

It falls under the 51% rule here. (If more than 51% of revenue is made by alcohol. You can’t bring a “weapon” in. Texas acknowledges any blade over 5 or 5.5” (I can’t remember the official ruling.) to be a “location restricted blade”.

I personally LOVE the Buck 119. I don’t edc it. But if I did. Just treat it like a handgun. I’d take it off and put it in the glovebox before entering schools, churches, bars. Things like that.

It sucks that it's so complicated...... It's almost like they designed the laws to be complicated? lol
My state allows carry into bars and restaurants as long as you aren't drunk.

It sucks that it's so complicated...... It's almost like they designed the laws to be complicated? lol
My state allows carry into bars and restaurants as long as you aren't drunk.
You can carry. Just needs to be under 5.5. But then again. It probably “varies” quite a bit. Texas is so vast and has all kinds of religions.

A small bar in back roads Texas is likely private owned and a lot less likely to say something than a bar in the middle of Dallas.

Wait holdon, you can’t carry “deadly weapons”, as for knives in that particular case, in bars and whatnot, but so does that mean you can’t conceal carry a gun in a bar/any building? It is a “deadly weapon” afterall

Wait holdon, you can’t carry “deadly weapons”, as for knives in that particular case, in bars and whatnot, but so does that mean you can’t conceal carry a gun in a bar/any building? It is a “deadly weapon” afterall
You can in most buildings.

Back