Can someone explain to me why Regular Sebenza are expensive?

I'm kind of new to the whole CRK thing, but I've been checking out the exchange and it seems to me the Regulars really hold their value and a lot of folks want them. Can you explain to me why that is the case?

Thanks

My short answer: Supply & demand. ;)

My personal answer: They're the best! :D

I'm pretty sure a lot of folks here can offer more informative replies than mine, "but that's my story & I'm stickin' to it." :)

I faced the same issue getting into this hobby.

heard a lot about them, so I went to a fine cutlery and handled a bunch, they do feel great and solid.

Theyre not for everyone though, some people like flippers or other blade materials.

Also, because they are so well made, use does not reduce their quality as much as in other knives. A used sebenza still has excellent tolerances, e.g.., and still works beautifully.

When you say Regular, do you mean the older model, or plain jane Sebenza 21's of any age?

Where to start...mmmmmh... well first of all the have been discontinued for quite a while, they were last made in 08 so as mentioned before it comes down to supply and demand, most people who have them don't want to sell so there are limited numbers available out there. Personally I can tell you what a lot of knife nuts think about this, blade shape, design, steel(s30v and bg-42) which a lot of people prefer over s35vn and simply the overall experience of having and handling one, they just grow on you for some reason and bring you some kind of personal satisfaction, I guess that's something you have to go experience for yourself and then you'll get it and learn to appreciate it.

Sebenzas are in a class all by themselves. They combine Chris Reeves' unique design, uber-stringent quality control, state-of-the-art materials and real-world utility. It's not easy to find all those qualities together.

I'm kind of new to the whole CRK thing, but I've been checking out the exchange and it seems to me the Regulars really hold their value and a lot of folks want them. Can you explain to me why that is the case?

Thanks

When you say Regular, do you mean the older model, or plain jane Sebenza 21's of any age?

Actually, all CRK folders hold their value well. The Regulars, assuming that's what you (the OP) mean, are particularly sought after because of their blade shape and the different ergos of the handles.

Well I will try and give you my opinion. I personally have a Sebenza, made from that "new powdered steel" :) mine was made in 2003. What sets CRK apart is the quality and attention to details. They use very high end (aerospace grade) materials. They hold their tolerances to the thousandths of an inch. That's .001 !! There is an amazing investment in machines, time, and materials that must be made to get things that go flick and slice to that level of perfection. On top of that, Mr. Reeve still checks every knife that leaves the shop. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the 2013 SHOT Show, and he is a true gentleman. When you purchase a CRK Knife, you are investing in a small piece of art.

Short story about CRK: when I met Mr. Reeve, I explained that I had a Sebenza that I had bent the tip on. I admitted that it was my fault, not the fault of the knife. I had done it at work prying open a window on a call. I inquired about the cost of repairing my Sebbie. Mr. Reeve had me bring the knife to him the next day at the show. He PERSONALLY took my Sebbie, inspected it, and had me write my address and contact info down. I asked him the price and he smiled and said "we can fix it, don't worry, you only buy my knives once." Long story short, they took my knife back to Idaho, gave it a full spa treatment, fixed the blade and sent it back to me for FREE.

That is what makes them worth the cost to me.

That is MY take on CRK. You only buy quality once. As the old saying goes "buy once, cry once."

Last edited:
I don't know about everyone else, but the earlier knives that had more handwork hold more appeal for me. My favorite is actually the original blade shape, but the "Regular" blade is very close behind. There is no doubt that nostalgia play a part, but to my hand the older knives just have more character and soul. It was very popular design after all and now that it's discontinued and the aftermarket is strong - prices go up. Economics 101.

This thread needs some pictures....

xo5xyi1i02xrla7fg.jpg

92jbi1dja88ivh9fg.jpg

Watch the YouTube video of Mr. Reeve giving a factory tour and talk about all the steps taken to make an exceptional knife.

Back