Can someone help me identify the Kami marks on my new AK Bowie

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by badasp118, Sep 22, 2011.

1. badasp118

badasp118

Feb 18, 2010
    Hi, I got a AK Bowie off of the exchange for 73.00 shipped to me. I dont think its ever been used. I am trying to figure who made it and I beleive its a very early one as it has only the markings shown on it. I think its Durbas mark but not shure as Buras mark is similar, at least I think.....please help.........and boy is it a beast.....
    badasp118:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wildmanh

wildmanh Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker

Jul 9, 2000
    badasp118, this quote from Karda will answer your question: "The lettering on the spine is Devanagari lettering. for H.I.". By the way, I made that exact same mistake with my 1st Khukri a little over 10 years ago.

The Kami's mark if there is one, should be on the left side of the blade near the handle. If it is un marked, it means that it's a really old A.K. Bowie. That knife is Freakishly thick!! :eek: :D

3. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    Wildmanh gets the cookie this time.....:thumbup:.;)

4. badasp118

badasp118

Feb 18, 2010
    Well shoot! Those r the only markings on the blade period, so basically there is no way to figure out which Kami made it then? And yes it is freakishly thick, sharp as hell, and a major handful!

5. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    Especially in the earlier days, which this Bowie appears to be from, sometimes a item or two would slip thru QC unmarked.
    Sadly, this leaves us with no way to know which Kami would've made it.
    On the bright side, you got a very good deal on a nice piece. Use it and Enjoy!!!!

6. badasp118

badasp118

Feb 18, 2010
    Thanks a lot for the info guys. Since I can't figure out which Kami made it I believe I will taper the tang to reduce weight a bit, and take the shrunken horn slabs off and put on some desert Ironwood I have had saved for a rainy day project, I plan on using it a lot either way! Thanks again......

7. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    You might be able to reverse some of the shrinkage by immersing it in some Pharmaceutical Grade Mineral Oil.