Can someone help me please.

Benchmadefolders.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have these two, of a three knife set, that I can not find any information on. I do know that they were designed by J.Samsion I believe but I have no information on the steel or the age. Any help would be graeatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Frank.

These look like early pre-Benchmade PCC folders. Made in Southern Cali before Les moved operations to Oregon City. Long before my time am not sure the blade steel, but would suggest 440C since most makers used it in the 80's.

I would email Benchmade. Maybe someone there might be able to offer some information. They pretty responsive in general to these types of questions.

Beautiful knives BTW.

I would post them on the Benchmade forum. There are quite a few collectors, as well as BM employees that are regularly on there, and they are very helpful...

This is their sub-forum on Blade Forums. They also have their own site...benchmadeforum.com

Just found another pic of a catalog while browsing ebay. I don't have much knowledge on the pre Benchmade models, but from the little bit of searching that I did, it appears that there was a knife called the "Monarch", model number 905/906. The pics I saw referring to those particular model #'s appeared to have smooth plastic or wood scales. In the pic below is the "Monarch II", model 915/916/917, they appear to have the textured rubber grips, but don't have the gold shield that your particular knives have. I haven't seen any reference to what steel was used on these models.

s-l1600.jpg~original

Just found another pic of a catalog while browsing ebay. I don't have much knowledge on the pre Benchmade models, but from the little bit of searching that I did, it appears that there was a knife called the "Monarch", model number 905/906. The pics I saw referring to those particular model #'s appeared to have smooth plastic or wood scales. In the pic below is the "Monarch II", model 915/916/917, they appear to have the textured rubber grips, but don't have the gold shield that your particular knives have. I haven't seen any reference to what steel was used on these models.

s-l1600.jpg~original

Thank you very much for your help. I did post the same photo on the Benchmade Forum and got a indepth answer as to the origin and designer of the knives. They are a Jody Samson design and they are part of a three knife set, the third of which I do not have. He thought the blade was more that likley 440c but was not sure.
Thank you all again for all your help and guidence.
Frank.

Back