1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Can the Rake be de-assisted?

Discussion in 'Kershaw Knives / Zero Tolerance' started by Random Dan, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Random Dan

Random Dan

Jan 21, 2012
    Part of the reason I don't buy very many knives is that every time I'm about to pull the trigger I change my mind about which one I want [​IMG]

So anyway I'm looking for a manual flipper with the same beefiness and solid feel as my 0350 for under $100. The Rake seems just about perfect, except it's assisted open, so I'm wondering if it has a good enough detent that the torsion bar could be removed. If anyone has a rake and can chime in it would be very much appreciated!

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701

Jan 29, 2008
    Have you considered just de-assisting a 350?

3. Tbaggin

Tbaggin

Apr 29, 2012
    Rake is definitely deassist doable. I like mine how it is, but it's well broken in with assist spring installed. Try it out!

4. Random Dan

Random Dan

Jan 21, 2012
    I like the assist in my 0350, the only reason I wanted to go manual for my next purchase is to make it a little more different.

Cool, thanks! Now I just need to decide between the Rake and ZT0700.

5. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    The Rake has no detent, but you can always drill one. Another de-assistable ZT is the 0400, you might be able to find one in that price range if you like swedged-poon tanto recurves. I know I do :)

Another option is a Blur.

6. TotalDbag

TotalDbag

Nov 3, 2012
    My Rake did just fine without the torsion bar. It had a decent detent.

7. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701

Jan 29, 2008
    Well, which is it? :p

8. TotalDbag

TotalDbag

Nov 3, 2012

Mine never opened in my pocket, and I could pretty much get it open without a wrist flick. But my blur also has a decent detent. Maybe I get lucky with my detents?

9. ono724

ono724

Jul 17, 2010
    I'll de-assist mine and let you know :D

10. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    I've taken mine apart to acid wash the blade (didn't turn out so good, had to polish the blade back) and grind down the spine, and before all that I wanted to see if I could safely deassist it but there was no detent.

11. Random Dan

Random Dan

Jan 21, 2012
    None at all? I wonder if Kershaw changed it at some point in the production :confused:

12. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    It's possible, I just know mine doesn't have one. I can take it apart tomorrow and post a pic if you'd like.

13. bertosknives

bertosknives

Jul 17, 2005
    tried mine and its a no go.

14. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    No detent.

[​IMG]

15. TotalDbag

TotalDbag

Nov 3, 2012
    I sold, and shipped mine two days ago. So I won't be able to post a picture.

16. instructed2

instructed2

Oct 11, 2011
    I'm not sure if the rake is deassistable, but the Kershaw JYD is every bit as robust as the 0350 or rake and it comes as a manual flipper.

17. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011