1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can this blade be polished out?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by JoeGoblyn, Jul 12, 2018.

1. JoeGoblyn

JoeGoblyn Basic Member Basic Member

May 9, 2018
    115FFED5-968C-4FD8-A35F-724B383D6C42.jpeg C81687A1-5123-44EA-97FD-7EB878F39F39.jpeg 651A0C6F-8F9C-4B6C-AD5F-EBE0AB5DC189.jpeg 6E034B63-ACC7-404F-9084-60E68DF6F8B1.jpeg

I bought an old Kutmaster Girl Scout knife I’d like to give as a gift. Its in pretty good shape overall and know it’s an old knife, but the main blade is scratched up bad.

Would Flitz get the scratches out and get some of that Old polished look to the blade?

Any recommendations on how I can get it to look close to the other tools on the knife?

Thanks in advance!

-Joe

2. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, all the scratches will come out but you'll have to use sandpaper. I'd start with fine like 220 grit and work finer. It will take
    some elbow grease but it's a small blade. Good luck, DM

115Italian and That_Knife_Guy like this.
  3. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    You need to remove metal to get scratches out. You can’t remove scratches, you need to bring the rest of the surface down to the scratches level. Then polish it.

Affix a sheet of wet/dry sandpaper to a hard & flat surface, like glass, stone or wood. Lay the blade flat against the sandpaper with the plunge grind (forward edge of the ricasso/tang) flush against the edge of the hard backing surface, and make edge-trailing (spine-leading) passes, making sure to keep the blade moving in straight, one-direction-only passes. As DM mentioned above, starting with something like ~220 should produce some visible change pretty fast. Then, for a fully-polished finish, do the same again in a sequence of finer grits, like 320 > 400 > 600 > 800 > 1200/1500 > 2000. Make sure to completely erase each stage of grit scratches with the following grit, before stepping forward to the next grit. You don't want to get far up in the sequence, only to start seeing very coarse, deep scratches that weren't fully removed earlier. After the 2000-grit, follow that with the Flitz polish.

If you don't want to go to all that trouble for the full polish, just doing the same with the 220 or 320 alone will leave a nice 'satin' finish on the blade, which emulates a lot of factory finishes on knife blades. Doing it that way is very easy and won't take long on simple carbon or low-alloy stainless blades (yours looks like stainless), especially smaller ones. And over time, that'd also make it easier to take it a step or three up in finish, a little bit at a time, if you still want to do that.