Can This Marriage Be Saved?

It is a matter of basic incompatibility. My wife is a Swiss Army Knife person and I’m a Leatherman kind of guy. Yesterday we were at poolside and she asked I had a SAK with me. I did, but it was a Rambler and she wanted larger scissors to trim her toenails. Usually, she carries a SAK with what is her favorite nail scissors, bar none, of any of our dedicated clippers, but when we are out together, she depends on me to carry all the stuff. So I offered her my Juice CS4 that I also had with me. Although SAK scissors are better, the Juice scissors work well enough, definitely okay on my own personal toenails. She accepted it, but was doubtful, doesn’t like Leathermen at all, thinks they are crude and not very hand friendly. I concede the point, but favor them anyway because the tools are mostly better (except for the scissors). Her dislike is such that she won’t even touch a Micra, would rather do without even if it is the only available.

Somehow, the way she worked the Juice scissors kept causing them to jam, so she eventually gave up and handed it back.

“What is it about Leathermans that appeal to you?” she asked.

“Well,” I answered , “they bring useable pliers into the tool mix.”

“They should stick to pliers,” she replied.

This morning, I came upon her fussing with some artificial flowers. “Do you have a wire cutter on you?” she asked.

Out came the CS4 again and I clipped the wire based stems where she directed. Other than "thank you," there was no further comment.

Nobody’s mind was changed. Some say opposites attract. I hope they are right.

Well, unless she finds you fondling someone's (other than your wife) SAK, i think you'll be able to work it out.

that's pretty funny znapschatz! and your lucky she likes SAKs, could be way worst bro ;)

I personally like both (being a tool/steel nut) and am glad I have both on me all the time, but it's true, different tools for different folks, and brands and models and types yada yada :)

I love my SAKs, but am leaning more towards Leatherman everyday. The tools are cool om SAKs, even the Swisstool, but they are smooth and polished and not very good when it comes to the drivers. Some of them bend and twist with not alot of torque. The Leatherman's drivers are MUCH better. Even the bit drivers on my Wave have hung tough when applying excessive amounts of torque to them. SAKs have it all over Leatherman when it comes to scissors, although the small scissors on my Wave have yet to fail me. SAKs and Leatherman compliment each other in alot of ways, which was Tim Leatherman's original goal. He was stuck on a European road needing to fix his car, and only had a SAK. However, he needed functional pliers, and thus his Leatherman Pocket Survival Tool was born. However, it was meant to be used with a SAK to get the full benefit and functionality. I think it's perfect that your wife carries the more aesthetically pleasing tool, while you carry the more utilitarian one.

znapschatz, would you prefer it if she loved LM and kept stealing yours? Sorry, "borrowing permanently without asking". :grumpy:

znapschatz, would you prefer it if she loved LM and kept stealing yours? Sorry, "borrowing permanently without asking". :grumpy:

:D No big deal. She already has my heart and soul. If she also wants my Leatherman, she can have that, too. Why be stingy? :D

At least she isn't a Winchester fan...

What does she think of the Squirt line?

At least she isn't a Winchester fan...

What does she think of the Squirt line?

Actually, Luke, until your post it never occurred to me to ask. Every once in a while, over years, I have offered Ms. Znapschatz one or another upgraded SAK (Explorer with magnifying glass, for instance), but she always turns it down, good to go with a SAK I gave her 30+ years ago as a birthday gift (or as part of a mating ritual, I don't remember which :D ). It's an older model, like a Spartan with scissors, her most used implement, but also from time to time she employs the knife blade, awl, bottle opener and, with me performing the grunt work, the corkscrew. I don't think she ever used the screwdrivers. Every 3 or 5 years, I clean the thing, sharpened the blade, and return it to her purse.

Now that it has become a hot topic, I decided to find out if this Leatherman could break the ice. Second thing this morning, I presented to the Ms. my much fondled but seldom used beautiful red Squirt S4 and asked her opinion of it. After brief examination, she had one minor complaint about the sharp edge at the tweezer end, but overall, seemed to find it acceptable. She agreed to EDC the Squirt for a while to evaluate it, so it will be some time before conclusions can be expected. Perhaps this is the Leatherman breakthrough ;) , to which I look forward with mixed feelings; gain a Leatherwoman :D , lose a Squirt :( .

Last edited:
Perhaps this is the Leatherman breakthrough ;) , to which I look forward with mixed feelings; gain a Leatherwoman :D , lose a Squirt :( .
Sounds like things are going well!:D I got my wife a Pink S4 a bit over a year ago (birthday) and she's said many times how much she likes it. I think it's a great tool for people who use scissors most, and it also has a bit more "class" that the micra. Hopefully even if she eventually goes back to the SAK, she'll have something to appreciate about LM. :)

Sounds like things are going well!:D I got my wife a Pink S4 a bit over a year ago (birthday) and she's said many times how much she likes it. I think it's a great tool for people who use scissors most, and it also has a bit more "class" that the micra. Hopefully even if she eventually goes back to the SAK, she'll have something to appreciate about LM. :)

Well, today I got my first report back from Ms. Z on her impressions of the Squirt, which were not all that great. Compared to her SAK, she thought the scissors were okay, but the cuts were more ragged than she liked, and the handles sometimes pinched her hand. I asked her if she tried the other implements. She was surprised; "You mean there is other stuff on this thing?" I showed her the knife blade, nail file, tweezers etc. and how nice they come out without having to pull the handles apart. "Hm," she sez.

This looks to be a long term process, at the end of which I will probably get the Squirt back.

Back