Can this old motor be used as a buffer?

I'm in the market for a buffer. I have this old motor hooked up to a jointer that I have no use for. A while back I got the whole table (jointer, belt sander, and motor) for $100 off craigslist. Does this motor seem appropriate for use as a buffer? What all would need to be done? I'm no expert on workshop machinery, just learning as I go along.

The motor is a Peerless 1HP 1750RPM. It seems to run ok. Not sure exactly what the arbor is. My caliper wasn't giving me anything that looked right, though it was close to 3/4"

I was looking to put a couple of Combat Abrasives' 8" Airway polishing wheels on it for use in cleaning up blades and polishing handles.

Here are some pictures

How are you attaching the buffing wheels? I put a shaft collar / stop ring on a motor shaft that I use with a felt wheel for honing edges. But the shaft is tapped so I can apply pressure on the wheel from that direction.
I think with 1750 rpm you'll be fine with something like 7-8" wheels.
yQ5dFcr.jpg

"IF" your motor shaft is 5/8" I'd think that's all you'd need, other than buffing wheels

Drew Riley

Riley Knife and Tool
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
That motor should be just fine. I'd get something like the Shop Fox W1681 buffing assembly and use your motor to drive it.
1627436747527.png

Hubert S.

Gold Member
Thanks! So I just need one of those on each side to attach a buffing wheel and I'd be good to go?
I think buffers and bench grinders have left-hand threads on one side so the buff/wheel does not spin itself loose. The plate on the motor says it's an H203 frame. There is a NEMA 203 frame size (without the H) that has a 3/4" shaft. That and your caliper measurement makes me think the adapter Ken linked is likely not going to work. There is a right-hand and a left-hand adapter for 3/4" shafts on Amazon that might work.

The Shop Fox assembly suggested by Drew looks really nice. You'll probably want a smaller pulley to drive it, though. A 2" V-pulley for a 3/4" shaft is about $6 at McMaster. Make sure the shaft has a 3/16" keyway and is actually 3/4" if you decide to go that route.

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I highly recommend getting the buffing head shown and driving it with your motor. This will allow using larger wheels as well as running the buffer at a safe speed.