1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Can we discuss shirogorov models? (95/hati/f3)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Amurr, Jan 31, 2015.

1. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    Its nice to see im not the only one who doesn't want to spend 1000 on a 450.00 knife either. They are even more on ebay, and custom divisions which cant be too much more intricate are going for up to 4,000.00 I just wish the bottom would fall out of their prices and bring them back to the price they were a few years ago.I bought a tabargan for 550, and its nice but its still a bit steep in price,it was a bargain compare to the 700-1000 it usually goes for...

2. ebidis

ebidis

Jun 23, 2012
    I am really in love with the Shirogorov 95. However, I agree $1000 is too much. However, I Would love to have one. If I could get one for $400-$500 I would save my money. I only have one Sebenza, and I don't want to trade it. LOL

3. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    It was tabargan of the bunch....;) :D

mycough likes this.
  4. ginaz

ginaz

Apr 19, 2001
    yeah, was not thrilled with what seems to be price gouging/fixing. If anyone knows of a direct russian source for these, please pm.

5. Vladimir_K

Vladimir_K

Nov 12, 2013
    Now nobody (and I also)can not buy knives in the studio brothers Shirogorovs. they do not accept the orders and will not take about three years.
    A lot of people in Russia (several thousand people) want to have them. Approximate cost Shirogorovs in Russia $ 700-750 (on the second hand market).
    Now you need to add shipping US $ 50-70, and we will get about $ 800. Do you think it makes sense to people from Russia to sell a knife Shirogorovs on BF for $ 800, if it can quickly sell it in Russia for $ 700.
    Especially since almost none of the seller in Russia did not take the money via PayPal.
    in fact, the difference in cost between Russia and the United States about $ 100-200, it is a small fee for the risk of losing the knife during shipping.
    if in Russia Shirogorovs will be available for sale at $ 400, then BF it will cost $ 500-600.
    Currently brothers Shirogorovs workshop has only one official dealer in the world is - TNK.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  6. Agurami

Agurami

Jul 22, 2013
    Gotta agree with Vladimir. Market prices in Russia are bloated. It got even worse when the RUB started depreciating and the economic crisis started to be felt a couple of months ago. You have Shiros listed for double the maker's price - sometimes even before the person has them in hand (they are still on the way from the Shirogorov workshop).

7. Trabireiter

Trabireiter

Mar 10, 2008
    supply & demand. Just like the hinderers have been which are now slowly coming down.

The Shiro knives a great, they look cool and stand out. People want them. Less supply than there is demand so somebody will pay the asking price. This will only change if production ramps up or interest in them goes down.

8. Vladimir_K

Vladimir_K

Nov 12, 2013
    I heard that the Hinderer knives have cost $ 300-400 from the manufacturer, but in Russia Hinderer worth $ 750-800. Definitely Hinderer knives loses Shirogorovs in quality fit and finish. And by the way in the Russian people want to buy knives Hinderer at $ 400, and do not understand why Hinderer is so expensive. People are willing to pay $ 400, but $ 800 a lot
    But still buy them ...

9. wolfmann601

wolfmann601 Gone, but not forgotton. RIP Ira.

Mar 12, 2001
    I have never seen one in person and of course never touched one. BUT a $1000 for a production knife seems so overpriced it boggles the mind. Is there something magical that I am missing?

10. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    Untill some drastic price changes come, I will not be buying anything from them.There are plenty of great flippers out there right now for way less then what the 95's are going for,so I can easily live without them. And with some of the new high tech flippers coming out of China, more and more people are going to realize that there is just as good if not better for less in this market.I do like the fact that they use many different steel types.But even their use of 440c on the 111 model still fetches 850.00+ which really makes no sense to me...

11. Hairlesstwinkie

Hairlesstwinkie

Feb 4, 2013
    Honestly, my Hati is probably one of those knives that I just won't let go. Sure the price is steep, but they are $700-800 knives all day long. For production knives, they are as good if not better than CRKs. The machining on them is just unbelievable and the quality of materials used is top notch. The carbon fiber on my Hati is probably the best I've seen in a lot of knives with CF handles. Maybe it's the way they're machined, but either way it's gorgeous. The grinds are perfect and all lines are chamfered. Great icing on the cake is the machined clip. They have a very custom knife feel for production knives.

I remember passing a few Shiros because they were $500 and I thought that they were too high since I've seen some sold for $400ish. I figured that the supply will eventually catch on, but it never did and the price just doubled overnight. I regret not jumping on those $500 knives. I figured I'll just pick one up from the maker at Blade Show for $400-500ish, well... they all started at $700. Maybe I missed the cheaper models, because I didn't find their table until late Saturday afternoon. At the 2014 Bladeshow, they were selling their knives via lottery and their prices are still the same as what I saw in the previous for the base g10 models and the others are actually what the secondary market prices are (800-$1200). They are no longer $400 knives. Shirogorov Brothers are capitalizing on them.

12. Terrakot

Terrakot

Mar 12, 2013
    Resume: if you, Americans, will stop buying Shiro's for 1000 and more, then Russian speculators stop buying them on secondary market for half of US current prices and, overall, prices will go down. But it's fantastic))

13. Vladimir_K

Vladimir_K

Nov 12, 2013
    Not exactly, this is equal to that I would write: if Russia stop buying Hinderer, sebenza and strider, the cost to the United States on these knives will go down ...:D

as an example. : almost all cannabis from TNK bought Russian and taken himself to Russia. In Russia, a lot of fans of Shirogorovs, a lot more than in the US. Shirogorovs raised the cost by 20% and this is just the beginning, prices will rise further, it is an investment.

14. Terrakot

Terrakot

Mar 12, 2013
    You are way too optimistic. A lot of people from fall 2014 are unemployed and I think, this spring we will see a lot of mid-tech and customs knives on second market. Most of them will go to US and EU markets.

15. Vladimir_K

Vladimir_K

Nov 12, 2013
    you're right, but I'm trying to be realistic. Shirogorovs knives are not essential commodities like bread and meat. value is always dictated by demand. If only my wish, let Shirogorovs worth $ 200, I will be happy, many people will be able to enjoy them.

16. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    If their prices continue to go up, it will get to a point where no one is going to buy them.

17. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    That is what we call a bubble burst.

18. Amurr

Amurr Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2013
    I just bought a BNIB elmax Hati for 700$ shipped. That's only like 150-100 more then the comptable hinderer on the 2nd hand market.

Not that bad....

19. DrFish

DrFish

Nov 18, 2001
    You're not spending $1000 on a $400 knife. You're spending $1000 on a knife that USED to cost $400.

Back then, before they had a following, they were priced at $400 and were worth $400.

Currently, they sell well at $1000 and are thus worth $1000.

You can't use a MSRP from a few years ago to set today's value. That's like looking at one of Bob Terzuola's old price lists and declaring that you will only value his work at those prices because that's how much they're "worth".

As far as the recent economic changes in Russia, you would *think* that the exchange rate would affect the price of the imports, or that the downturn would affect domestic pricing and demand...

but remember that in this price range these are essentially luxury goods. They don't exist in the same pricing world as regular things. You'll never see a luxury watch manufacturer issue a 20% MSRP price cut due to an economic downturn.

As far as the exchange rate, the problem in this case is likely that you are NOT exchanging dollars to buy these goods in rubles. You are buying them in dollars. With the drop in the ruble, I'm pretty sure that if you went and tried to buy the knife in rubles, they'd ask for their USD price. And with a waiting list in the years, I'm pretty sure you'd have to pay it.

Supply and demand. There is no oversupply in this case. There is more demand than capacity. The market is setting the price and the value.

20. Vladimir_K

Vladimir_K

Nov 12, 2013
    I will add, knives Shirogorovs, a new generation who are selling now, much better made (fit and finish) than the old first model, it is a completely different level of quality