Can you help me date this Imperial blade?

I have seen pictures of all of the tang stamps imperial has, but on the knife I have, the tang stamp seems to be different than the others. It's a crowned Imperial, with PROV. RI. USA underneath. I think it's from the 40s or 50s but I'm not sure, can you help?

Does USA run vertically along the side, or horizontally under imperial ?
If so then I have no clue.
I've got an h6 fixed blade with what looks like the common '56-'88 stamp with the vertical USA, but it has no crown, and you've got this knife with an un listed tang stamp so there's obviously some unlisted tang stamps.

Mine looks like the 46 to 56 but has r i in between prov and usa. Would that still make it in those years?

The usa is horizontal right next to R.I. instead of vertical like in those years.

Last edited:
Sorry to bring back an older thread but I just picked up an Imperial H6 with an unlisted tang stamp as well. It resembles the 1946-1956 but only says USA horizontally, centered right under the crowned imperial. No Prov., no RI and no room for them to have ever been there to be rubbed off. The USA is dead center under the imperial. I will attempt to upload a pic, but I have been having trouble getting my links to work lately... I'd imagine this knife is 1946-1956 by the similarities in the tang stamp and the overall patina of the knife and sheath. Hopefully maybe we can confirm some of the dates on these unlisted tang stamps. I'd imagine they were stamped in the middle of a design change or something, and the final stamp is what we see listed. Any info is great and I know alot of boy scouts used these knives, and mine is marked With the initials "WHG" on the back of the sheath... I thought I may even be able to find it's original owner... those are pretty unique initials. Any info is appreciated and I pray my pics work!
523Fu7

Not even with my Flickr account, anybody else having trouble uploading pics? My description was pretty clear, but a pic would be great to have... thanks for any help guys!

Not even with my Flickr account, anybody else having trouble uploading pics? My description was pretty clear, but a pic would be great to have... thanks for any help guys!

Here's your image. :)

42343932285_577435e48f_b.jpg

You need to use the url that ends in jpg or other image format between the img tags for it to work. Click on the download this photo arrow, then click view all sizes, then right click the image to get the url. Flickr doesn't make it as easy as other photo hosting sites, unfortunately, but I like that they make it possible to link to multiple different sizes without having to do the resizing myself. It's a tradeoff. *shrug*

That's it and I appreciate It! It's almost scary that it was so easy for you and hard for me... or I'm just paranoid lol. I think I can handle that next time I need to get a pic up here. Seriously, appreciated. As would be any opinions on my tang stamp. 46-56 or a more modern item? It has the look and feel of an older knife, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's that old... Thanks in advance!

Back