Can you help me??

After watching a recent video and seeing some pics too I have decided that I want to stock up on some palm fibers for my fire kits. Its apparently great for tinder and catches a spark very well. Unfortunately I live in WI and we're a little short on palm trees:) So I asking if anyone out there has easy access to some palm trees and wouldn't mind gathering up a nice sized bundle for me. I have four fire kits I would like to add it to so a couple handfuls would be perfect. I will gladly pay shipping costs. If anybody out there in Florida, California and whatever other(if any) areas here in the US that have palms would be willing to help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I'm always looking for new useful items for my fire kits, especially this stuff since I can't get it myself. So asking for a favor wouldn't be polite or complete without saying PLEASE:D

Hello Mike,

I believe that every area has their own little gem of fire starting material. In Florida it is fatwood and things like palm. For me in New England it is Birch Bark and Cedar Bark (there are others), Pitdog in Alberta likes his fatwood and Balsam sap, and I am sure you have something up your way that works fantastic as well. I'm not saying it isn't nice to play with different materials that aren't found by you, but I think learning to work with your environment will better serve you.

Either way have fun and good luck with your search.

I have palms in my yard, what part do you want the fiber from?

I also have ponderosa fatwood from the sierras.

Oh cool. I'm not entirely sure where they got the fibers from but I thought it came from the underside or under the bark. I really don't know for sure. And is the fatwood in chunks or something? I would love to get some of both if possible. Let me know more, shoot me an email.

Brew, what video was it so I can see what you need, was it a YouTube?

Back