Can you produce great results on a chisel ground blade using a sharpmaker?

People have mentioned that a Emerson Chisel Ground Blade works differently in the right, or left hand. I ask why?

I haven't found that, but understand that my cutting is pretty limited in the kind stuff I cut. I mostly cut narrow (not thin) stuff... zip ties, plant stems, packing straps, that kind of thing. Once the edge has made its cut, the task is usually done. Some people make very long or deep cuts into very wide materials. They have to draw their blade down through several inches of whatever it is. I can see that might make a difference in how a chisel ground, or even single bevel V-ground, blade works.

I normally carry a sebenza and just lately been carrying my horseman ever since I got it. I notice that the Emerson chisel grind cuts thru shrink wrap like butter compared to the sebenza, but fails on the paper cut. My sebenza can slice thru paper easily, but not thru shrink wrap like the Emerson.

Last edited:
Emerson's have always performed very well for me, and I have to think their outstanding ergo's play a part in that. It has actually been a pretty good while since a Benchmade, Spydie, or CRK gotten any pocket time, other than my 275 Adamas when I feel the need to take a small tree down with a knife (that thing is ridiculous).

Back