Can you suggest a coarse grit triangular pocket sharpener (~ 4'')?

I have a portable and lightweight kit, consisting of three Lansky sharpeners: A fine (600 grit) diamond retractable sharpener (triangular style with rounded edges) and both medium and fine triangular ceramic for serrations. I like to use them to sharpen my carving (pocket) knives, a hook knife or chisels and gouges, for example.
Now I am thinking about adding another option to this kit: A coarser grit sharpener. Can you suggest one? I would prefer a triangular or drop-shaped (or tear-shaped?) sharpener over a flat or rounded one. Simply because I like to use flat parts but also need sth. for deburring on the inside of those woodworking tools I mentioned above. A lenght of ~ 4'' would be great as this is the size (well, the diamond pen is a little bit shorter) of the three Lansky sharpeners.

I know that Spyderco sells diamond or CBN rods (325 grit). They are sold by pairs and are too expensive. And so is the new Spyderco CBN Profile Stone.

Thank you very much for your input.

Last edited:
Might also look up 'slip stones'. They're the ones that are teardrop-shaped in cross section, and are made so specifically for use on wood carving tools like gouges. The Sharpening Supplies site is a good place to find hones like that from Norton in particular, and finer-grit versions from Spyderco (I believe). I think Norton may also carry triangular hones in coarser media, such as in their India line (aluminum oxide in C/M/F grit range) and Crystolon line (silicon carbide in M/F grit).

Yes, I remember that you mentioned slip stones a couple of month ago, when you told me about the Lansky ceramics for serrations (and how to remove them from their holder). I bought them and was able to remove them from the plastic holder just by putting them in hot water. The stones more or less dropped out without any need of prying.
These Nortons you mention are hard to get where I live. So are the Moldmaster stones (the triangular ones are 6'').

I found a diamond sharpener made by Taidea that looks quite similiar to the Lansky DROD1 but has - if I can believe the description - 360 grit. Maybe that's what I am looking for? I don't know if it is allowed to put a link to their homepage?

Thanks so far.

Yes, I remember that you mentioned slip stones a couple of month ago, when you told me about the Lansky ceramics for serrations (and how to remove them from their holder). I bought them and was able to remove them from the plastic holder just by putting them in hot water. The stones more or less dropped out without any need of prying.
These Nortons you mention are hard to get where I live. So are the Moldmaster stones (the triangular ones are 6'').

I found a diamond sharpener made by Taidea that looks quite similiar to the Lansky DROD1 but has - if I can believe the description - 360 grit. Maybe that's what I am looking for? I don't know if it is allowed to put a link to their homepage?

Thanks so far.
Don't know whether it's worth posting a link to the Taidea site anyway. Looking them up online, it seems their home page isn't a secure ('https') site. I usually avoid linking to such sites unless I feel I can trust them.

Very small pen-type diamond hones in coarse grit are kind of a toss-up to me. I have an older one from EZE-LAP that's similar to that Lanksy DROD1. But I've never liked it, as the grit is much TOO coarse for a small hone like that, in my opinion. Tends to ding up edges more than it refines them. Very coarse diamond grit is much more useful in larger bench stones for very fast grinding jobs. But a very small hone would be essentially good only for touch-up honing as far as I'm concerned, and that's best done with something finer.

Ok, that does not sound good. Makes me think twice.
I thought that the shape of the sharpener would be versatile. Maybe I find other options.

have a portable and lightweight kit, consisting of three Lansky sharpeners: A fine (600 grit) diamond retractable sharpener (triangular style with rounded edges) and both medium and fine triangular ceramic for serrations. I like to use these for example to sharpen my carving (pocket) knives, a hook knife or chisels and gouges.
Now I am thinking about adding another option to this kit: A coarser grit sharpener.

Do you have any photos of what are you talking about. I was reading your post but didn't understand.....pocket sharpener and adding coarser grit sharpener.

Do you have any photos of what are you talking about. I was reading your post but didn't understand.....pocket sharpener and adding coarser grit sharpener.

Round sticks have limitations. With some knives, you can't reach all the way to the heel with a round stick. That's why triangular sticks are preferable.

Imagine trying to touch the corner of a room with a round ball. You can't do it. The ball can't fit in to the corner because it doesn't have the right shape. But you can easily touch the corner with the point of a sharpened pencil. It's just geometry.

There are some short pocket sharpening sticks which are round, and some which are triangular. In my opinion, the triangular ones are better. They come in varying grits. The grit refers to how rough the surface is. Coarse grits are rougher, and fine grits are smoother. Medium grits fall somewhere in the middle.

Do you understand now?

I know you're not this ignorant, but your question really seems that way, so I thought I should just explain it like I would to a 5 year old... sorry.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean :)

I wasn't aware that I expressed myself that confusing. Well, I have three Lansky sharpeners. Fine diamond (which is the coarsest grit of all three), medium and fine ceramic. Now I would like to have another sharpener with a coarser grit than 600 diamond.

From left to right: Lansky DROD1 (600 grit), Lansky medium ceramic (triangular shape with groove) and Lansky fine ceramic (triangular with groove). You can see some residue where the hone was glued to the stone holder.

I know you're not this ignorant, but your question really seems that way, so I thought I should just explain it like I would to a 5 year old... sorry.
Yeah well, some of us are stil kids by hart.
If the author would use word 'triangular stone' I would understand. But he was mentioning portable sharpener and he would like to add coarser grit sharpener... confusing.
Perhaps the author was typing fast but I can only read slowly.... so... lost in translation or something similar I guess.
One photo worth 1000 words they say.

The grit refers to how rough the surface is. Coarse grits are rougher, and fine grits are smoother. Medium grits fall somewhere in the middle.
Ah, this grit. I thought we are talking about: courage and resolve; strength of character.

With some knives, you can't reach all the way to the heel with a round stick. That's why triangular sticks are preferable.
That's why choils are for. Right? If there is no choil then make one.

Last edited:
Now I am thinking about adding another option to this kit: A coarser grit sharpener

I couldn't find any diamond triangular coarser grit "sharpener" (stone) on the net, only Spyderco but they have unreasonable prices... like those triangle sticks are made of real diamonds.

I wasn't aware that I expressed myself that confusing. Well, I have three Lansky sharpeners. Fine diamond (which is the coarsest grit of all three), medium and fine ceramic. Now I would like to have another sharpener with a coarser grit than 600 diamond.
I guess the error came from my side. After thorough explanation from Mr. Guy McVer and after reading your post 20 more times I finally comprehended what are you looking for.
Well; here is the disappointment; no one besides Spyderco is making triangular diamond sharpeners, not even 'over-sea' companies and this is a surprise because otherwise it seems they are replicating everything what comes from the west.
There are triangular sharpeners but made of Cr/Al oxide (ordinary stones) but that's not what are you looking for.

Maybe it is more a stone. Or a small rod. Or a pen style sharpener. I don't know.

I am not limited to diamonds. Never said it has to be diamonds. I don't want sth. soft bond that is very friable. AlOx Or SiC would be fine, too. Or whatever is available in a coarse grit.

I find triangular stones more versatile. Round rods are find for breadknives with big serrations. And I think I memtioned triangular in my first post :). I am sorry that you had to read it that often. Thank you for your patience and your input.

I agree: Spyderco diamond rods (or stones) are overpriced. I would not need two as they sell them just as pairs.

I am sorry that you had to read it that often. Thank you for your patience and your input.
It was just a joke (about reading) but I must confess I was not sure at first what are you looking for till you post a photo.

I am not limited to diamonds.
In that case you have some options. Check Amazon. For example; they sell a set of 16 pieces from #120 to #1200. They also sell other sets.
But; why don't you get something like this (link to photo below). It's a double sided foldable diamond sharpener (#400/#600) and you can get it for about $5. I have 3 of them and they work fine. You can use it to sharpen ''more normal'' knives. I added a small home made strop to my sharpener. For other tools you can get those triangular sharpening rods.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17IftHllcU2d0C4Ystbds3CUImMZXk7Px/view?usp=drivesdk

It was just a joke (about reading) but I must confess I was not sure at first what are you looking for till you post a photo.
Who knows? English is not my native tongue. Maybe it is so confusing what I write?;)

Check Amazon. For example; they sell a set of 16 pieces from #120 to #1200. They also sell other sets.
So coarse grits would be more useful than the fine grits. The whole set would be a little bit overkill. But they look like a decent set. Any experience about their wear-resistance?

Back