Canadian belt knife - explain plz.

Most unusual design, obviously to meet a purpose. Can someone explain this knife plz.

Not widely copied therefore unsuccessful design??

Been made for a long time therefore successful design??

Not sure about what went into the design. What were Grohmann and Russell thinking?
If you squint yer eyes you'll see that it's really a skinny Nessmuk.
Probably not done a lot because it's one of those 'if it's not a Grohmann..." kinda things though I have seen some versions by different makers. Not really a design that you can 'put your own spin' on.
Kinda like Subarus: folks who got em swear by em.
Funky looking but once you got in your hand it feels pretty good.
Disclaimer: I have a Grohmann #4 and have never used it. Just something aesthetically pleasing about the design that I like.

Did quick search.. DH Russell and Grohman Knives teamed up in 1957 to make a hunting knife. So for 63 years they have been making these .
That's doing pretty good. My only personal 'experience' is the Canadian design from Bark River Knives on their Mini and Micro Canadians. The knife cuts like a longer bladed knife and as you see by my pics almost daily it's a well carried pair.
Hope this helps, guy

The Russell Canadian Belt Knife is an iconic design; it's on display at the New York Museum of Modern Art. The offset handle makes it easy to use the entire length of the elliptical blade. I used mine to field dress my first mule deer (I still have it). It's light, compact, great dangler sheath. The high carbon steel is close to 1080, tough and easy to sharpen. The stainless is fine grained, also easy to hone. Not super steels but great for the field. I wouldn't hesitate to take one as my only knife on an extended wilderness trip.

Last edited:
Houlahound, you have been around for quite some time, you have many knives... What is it you don't get with the Canadian Belt / Grohman knife ? This design is totally use driven, and that's it. It's an amazing everyday user, at everything. I love it. But I use mainly sexier knives. There, I said it.

As a lifelong MI resident who lives 30 minutes from Windsor, I feel qualified to answer this question.

I was told it was a scalpel like blade for fine butchering/skinning animals as opposed to a bigger, thicker "more clumsy" hunting blades. The angle of the blade in relation to handle has something to do with fine cutting/de-boning.

It is also a lightweight blade for defending and slashing when the Moose, Elk, and Bear attack your Canadian city. Or it can used to slash the tires of Maple Leaf fans. Ya I said it, check my avatar ... (Ok, my Wings stink atm. But we had a good 25 year run)

As a lifelong MI resident who lives 30 minutes from Windsor, I feel qualified to answer this question.

I was told it was a scalpel like blade for fine butchering/skinning animals as opposed to a bigger, thicker "more clumsy" hunting blades. The angle of the blade in relation to handle has something to do with fine cutting/de-boning.

It is also a lightweight blade for defending and slashing when the Moose, Elk, and Bear attack your Canadian city. Or it can used to slash the tires of Maple Leaf fans. Ya I said it, check my avatar ... (Ok, my Wings stink atm. But we had a good 25 year run)
...Better than the absolutely useless Senators, who certainly aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer...

edit: forgot the prerequisite picture, the Canadian Belt Knife, folder version
ib3IVFs.jpg

Last edited:
I find being able to settle your thumb on the back of the blade with that blade shape offers great control and tactile feedback. Makes for great controlled slicing!

I have a lot of fixed blades and this design is about as useful as any and they cut very well. They aren't overbuilt thick monsters as many knives went to in more recent years they have stayed true to use and they just work. I still carry one and use it along with others during hunting season.

100% purpose driven for game cleaning, skinning, butchering in the field. Great design.

The spatula shape is for smearing PB on Red Wings flags. ;)
This is gonna be a fun friendship gazz98 gazz98 .

GO LEAFS GO!!!! I said it. ;)

Good luck this year...if the guys ever get on the ice again. :/

Back