"Canadian Belt Knife" ?

hey koyote I have seen and felt both the canadian and the puko looking knife both from cold steel. I have to say the blade felt real sharp but the handle and the case are real crud. The puko type blade did not fit securely in the odd case and the canadian did not feel real good in the hand for me...it felt almost slippery, not good! But I have not handled one and they may be decent knives for the $$ and ordinarly I love cold steel blades. But for the same price you can pick up a folding ka-bar and they are very solid and good blade for the $$ too.

Is there a reason that you feel it would suit your needs better than a Mora? It's hard not to immediately suggest that, when the blades are always around $10 and the steel/grind are so great.

I agree with spooky,it's hard to beat a mora,I havn't tried one of the cold steel offerings,but for the same or less money,Im happy with my moras.

I recently picked up one of the Canadian Belt Knives at a gun show ($14.95). I acquired it more out of curiosity than need and have yet to do anything approaching serious cutting with it. While it is quite sharp, I can't really speak to edge holding ability. The handle is Zytel with a matte finish. While it I find it comfortable to hold, whether it is comfortable to use I have yet to find out.As to slipperyness, I don't think I'd want to stab anything with this knife, but it should prove alright for common chores. No more slippery than the average kitchen knife. The sheath is heavy Cordura and holds the knife pretty well by friction. Not what you'd want in a parachute jump, but adequate for it's intended use. I'd call the quality on par with or better than I would expect for the money.

Not really anything against a mora, I just find the 'canadian' is a great small game and camp chore knife, something my wife likes, and I'm curious about this one.

The handle could be a killer, but sheathing- I almost always make my own, anyway. Very few production knives come with really well designed or executed sheaths.

filing the handle seems like it would be a silly amount of work to do, but maybe some dip sticku handle rubber would work.....

Or maybe I'll just give my wife one of the sierra hikers. :) She likes the design a lot, too

I didn't mean to knock your choice, a person needs no other reason than 'cuz they felt like it'. I've not done much wood-work with the grohmann type blade, so that may mean quite a lot.

I recently bought a Cold Steel Finn Bear through Ebay. Cost me around US$11...plus a lot of postage to get it to New Zealand. I think this knife is one of three new knives put on the market by Cold Steel, and I think that the sheaths, handles and the blade steel of all three are probably fairly similar.

I haven't given the Finn Bear a hard workout yet. I chose this over the other two knives in its class (Roach Belly and Canadian Belt) because the blade appealed to me more.....simple, easy to sheath, and easier to control, in my opinion, for a wide variety of tasks.

The knife might be cheap, but I like it. The 'file test' to the blade indicated that the temper was perfectly serviceable. It is light to carry and nice to look at. I guess if I had to say one thing about the knife that I didn't particularly like, it would be that the ridges on the handle may catch a lot of contamination, and they can cause a 'zipping' sound as you pull the knife from the sheath.

The factory sheath is possibly more secure than the factory sheath which came with my Mora. I hold the Mora knives that I've 'experienced' in high regard also..... good value for money.

So.... in conclusion, I reckon that it wouldn't hurt to buy a Canadian Belt knife if you like the look of it and if you think that the blade shape would suit you. Maybe you'd find the Finn Bear to be better for some tasks. If I lived in the USA, I'd probably have one of each by now.

I bought a canadian belt knife on ebay , it was sharp , the handle felt cheap n nasty but was functional .

the actual edge holding ability compares quite well with an ordinary vegetable knife , IOW the one I got sucked as anything but a paring knife basicly

but this is my personal experience with only one knife , others may find them better and even like them :)

I gave mine to an elderly neighbour who hangs it off the belt of her emergency bag , it does her quite well .

After reading the above posts I can say that everyone's remarks are right on. I have three Finn Bears and have used one for about a month now.

I'm willing to sell the other two new ones through Paypal for $12.00 each. I can also get the Cold Steel Roach Belly and Canadian Belt knife for the same price if anyone is interested. I have a friend who is a Cold Steel fanatic and gets great deals on them. Just PM me, since I don't want to break any forum rules. Never the less, I will soon be offering them up for sale or trade in the appropriate forums.

Probably a nice knife for the money but that would annoy me to finance the makers of a made in China balant Grohmann rip-off.

Since there are more ethical (???) alternatives (read moras) I think I'll pass.

you are addicted!!!you need to get high(go buy a new knife) . th efinn bear is alot better than any mora . COLD STEEL!!!!!

As a fan of these knives ever since I was issued a CF one (#3 IIRC), my concern is that it'll sour people on what a sweet knife the real one is. If it's a money issue then get a mora, otherwise save your pennies and get the real thing. To this day, I wish I'd "lost" mine before having to return it to QM stores...

Back