canadian editorial

hso

I've picked this up from our sister forum. While it speaks to gun control in Canada we should not miss the opportunity to "borrow" the sound logical arguments presented.

July 22, 1999
Gun control: The facts don't count
Anti-gun activists are neurotics at best. At worst, they're militant statists

By GEORGE JONAS
Toronto Sun
'The same woman can't be fooled by the same man in the same way more than half of the time," wrote the
American journalist Helen Rowland in her 1922 book, A Guide to Man. The principle may also apply to the Canadian media. At least I doubt if the Liberal government has been able to fool journalists on gun control more than half of the time.
By now there have been dozens of sensible editorials on the subject. In the last three months I saw some in the Toronto Sun, the Ottawa Citizen and in the National Post, among others. During May and June Lorne Gunter wrote a series of excellent columns in the Edmonton Journal. He pointed out in his pieces that "nothing this government says about its firearms registry, from Justice Minister Anne McLellan on down, can be trusted to be the truth."
To mention one minor example, the number of civil servants working on the registry isn't 200, as the government has assured us, but more like 600 or 800. If spending $50-$60 million annually on the useless task of registering Grandpa's gopher-plunker wasn't already a hideous waste, it now seems certain that it will cost many millions more.
According to Gunter, the government is playing fast and loose, not only with the cost of the registry, but withthe of the figures. It seems, for instance, that the actual number of new registrations under the program isn't 1.3 million, as the chief registry spokesperson informed the media last month, but a mere 106 (yes, that's one hundred and six weapons).
These bits are only the most recent in a whole series of revelations about the gun registry fiasco. Other people -e.g., columnist Peter Worthington, researcher Gary A. Mauser, or Reform MP Garry Breitkreuz - have been compiling, studying and writing about the facts for years.
Do the latest facts, or any other facts, matter? In my opinion, no. The gun control debate has long ceased to be about facts, if it ever was about facts to begin with.
At best, anti-gun lobbyists have a visceral fear of firearms, sometimes openly admitted by public figures likeToronto mayor Mel Lastman. Such fears are no more responsive to rational analysis than phobias of any other kind. One might even sympathize with phobias, as with other neuroses; it's a different question whether we should let phobias become the basis of public policy.
In this debate, anti-gun activists are neurotics at best. At worst, they're militant statists. They wish to disarm
individuals on principle. Even that's only part of it, because what they especially want is to accustom people to state intrusion. The more senseless and bureaucratic, the better.
Since statists use crime (or accidents) only as rhetorical devices in the debate, they're inured to evidence
showing that guns in private citizens' hands don't cause crime or may even reduce it. It isn't crime or accidents statists worry about, but people's ability to bring checks and balances to bear, whether actual or symbolic, that might limit or parallel the power of the state.

State power
Those who believe in, and identify with, an omnipotent government cannot admit any source of autonomy outside state power. They become uneasy at the thought of people retaining private spheres of sovereignty.
The very idea of individual authority - say, the idea of a man protecting his home or family - is what upsets them most. They don't want people to be in charge of their destinies, not just in business or family matters, but even in their hobbies, health, or personal safety.
Twisted egalitarianism also plays a psychological part in this syndrome. One anti-gun lobbyist, speaking perhaps in an unguarded moment, was quite open about it.
"Maybe you know how to use a gun," he said to me, "but many people don't. Why should you be able to defend yourself when other people can't?"
Gun registration, leading ultimately to prohibition, has nothing to do with crime control. As Canadian
anthropologist Elliott Leyton put it once, the debate is "symbolic," inspired by middle-class urban ideology, not analysis.
Indeed. The joint scheme of ex-justice minister Allan Rock and present Justice Minister Anne McLellan can only be understood in terms of psychology and ideology. Facts and arguments won't make a dent. When sharks begin to circle a swimmer in the water, reciting statistics to them isn't likely to alter their behaviour.

------------------
TANSTAAFL

That is a scarry article. It really seems odd that most liberal causes use statistical results (which may have no cause and effect relationship) as their basis. Yet when faced with statistics that do not support their positions it does not seem to slow them down in the least.

I have a theory that conservatives, being naturally introspective due to a life of short term sacrifice for a better future, are at a disadvantage in the struggle with liberal ideals. Conservatives tend to be reasonable and re-evaluate their positions. Liberals do not.

Conservatives crawled all over the NRA for not taking a more reasonable position on automatic weapons. Kind of like let them win one and maybe they will be satisfied and go away. It does not work that way. We need to pick our lines to hold and not back down an inch.

------------------
CJ Buck
Buck Knives, Inc.
AKTI Member #PR00003

I would hope that AKTI will be very careful about using the NRA as a model.

Although the NRA has a number of fine qualities they are viewed by the masses (many of whom are reasonable) as being as radical or more radical than the Anti's.

I would hope that the AKTI can learn this very important lesson and stake out the high ground of reason from the beginning.

While a very reasonable argument can be made that the current Switchblade and similar laws are ineffective I would propose that the AKTI focus instead on the useful and safe uses of all knives and highlight the ridiculousness of many of the proposed laws.

Focussing the spotlight on children being expelled from school for carrying a butter knife in their lunch box is a very effective means of questioning unreasonable policies.

SDouglas

The only reason people thing the NRA is extreme is because they are speaking against the media and the liberal legislators, AND the NRA is in a position where they can not be ignored.

If or when the AKTI finds itself in the same political position that the NRA is in, specifically, trying to defuse or defeat a proposed law with national impact, lets say something like national knife registration which the Britts are playing with, AKTI will be in the same position as the NRA.

It will not matter how reasonable your position is, If you don't agree that Knife registration is going to save the world you will be labeled "extremist".

We had all best support the NRA now, because if they go down in flames the push will be on and the AKTI will not even amount to a speed bump to the ensuing legislative rush.

I did not intend to attack the NRA in my post.

I have tremendous respect for and agree with the fundamental positions of the NRA.

I am concerned that the NRA has taken positions in recent years which I and other Gun owners felt were unreasonable. I realize that the NRA and the AKTI are both dealing with unreasonable opponents or policies.

My concern is that as the AKTI opposes unreasonable policies we must be extra vigilant not to appear unreasonable ourselves.

Back