Canadian knife laws

I was just wondering if someone could fill me in on some of the knife laws in Canada I'm fifteen and I carry three folding knives and a multi-tool and was wondering if these were legal to carry clipped to a pocket. I was also wondering what the laws for fixed blade knives are. any help would be appreciated

I was just wondering if someone could fill me in on some of the knife laws in Canada I'm fifteen and I carry three folding knives and a multi-tool and was wondering if these were legal to carry clipped to a pocket. I was also wondering what the laws for fixed blade knives are. any help would be appreciated

Canada doesn't have too many knife laws. There are no length limits (in Ontario. I'm not sure about other provinces, and of course there may be city by-laws in some places). For the most part our laws are intent based. If an officer notices your knife, he may question you about it to try and determine your intent for carrying the knife. Canadians are not permitted to carry weapons for self defense, so if you tell the officer that you are carrying it for protection...they will charge you with possession of a weapon. If it is found during a search and it appears that you were trying to conceal it, then the charge is carrying a concealed weapon. Basically, you need to have a reasonable answer to explain why you are carrying the knife/ knives.

Sometimes even the appearance of the knife can influence the determination of a weapon. Is your knife a mean looking stabber of a blade with a black handle and a "tacticool" look? As a teenager, it could be construed as being carried for intimidation purposes. What you do with the knife obviously also will determine if it will be considered a weapon.

Also switchblades, butterfly knives, "flick" or gravity knives and ballistic knives are all highly illegal.

Why do you carry three folding knives? Do you have a reasonable (to a cop) answer?

Canada doesn't have too many knife laws. There are no length limits (in Ontario. I'm not sure about other provinces, and of course there may be city by-laws in some places). For the most part our laws are intent based. If an officer notices your knife, he may question you about it to try and determine your intent for carrying the knife. Canadians are not permitted to carry weapons for self defense, so if you tell the officer that you are carrying it for protection...they will charge you with possession of a weapon. If it is found during a search and it appears that you were trying to conceal it, then the charge is carrying a concealed weapon. Basically, you need to have a reasonable answer to explain why you are carrying the knife/ knives.

Sometimes even the appearance of the knife can influence the determination of a weapon. Is your knife a mean looking stabber of a blade with a black handle and a "tacticool" look? As a teenager, it could be construed as being carried for intimidation purposes. What you do with the knife obviously also will determine if it will be considered a weapon.

Also switchblades, butterfly knives, "flick" or gravity knives and ballistic knives are all highly illegal.

Why do you carry three folding knives? Do you have a reasonable (to a cop) answer?
Would the reason of them being for different materials be a good one

Would the reason of them being for different materials be a good one
I guess that depends on the officer and what their suspicion is. Can you explain what you typically use each one for and have it sound reasonable?

If you're a teenager and want the cops to not mind you carrying three knives, you better be able to convince them that you are a harmless knife nerd.
Learn all the nerdiest specs of the knives; be able to bore them to death with the smallest details as to why this knife is so much more collectable than the ones at Walmart...things like that.

Harmless knife nerd is a valid reason for carrying a bunch of knives. :thumbsup:

You will have to look up your local laws, know them by heart, as city bylaws can be conditional, and odd. As far as three knives and a multi, you will need a lot of good reasons. Also know who you are talking to, RC, provincial or city will make a huge difference, and while a mall security guard can't do much, they can make your life miserable, and ban you from the premise, so be very careful to not argue.

A couple other things I'd also do, get your first aid and CPR course and carry a FAK, that way you seem more like over-eager boy scout rather than potential hoodlum.

I've had my folders clipped to inside and outside of pocket n no cops cared! Carrying 3 tho might be hard to explain why you need to hve so many.as for knife laws in Canada I've found it really depends on the cop/customs officer! Some just don't care and some would call a rock illegal if it was too sharp! I've carried since I was a kid with never a problem with the one exception of having a balisong in my vehicle!! Also fixed blades are pretty much the same, it's up to discretion of the cop on what he thinks you are using it for! I live in Ontario and see many people carrying fixed blades around.

Where in Canada are you? That will affect your choices. I can think of two places where visible knives are prohibited by local law. That would be Calgary and Montreal.

You will have to look up your local laws, know them by heart, as city bylaws can be conditional, and odd. As far as three knives and a multi, you will need a lot of good reasons. Also know who you are talking to, RC, provincial or city will make a huge difference, and while a mall security guard can't do much, they can make your life miserable, and ban you from the premise, so be very careful to not argue.

A couple other things I'd also do, get your first aid and CPR course and carry a FAK, that way you seem more like over-eager boy scout rather than potential hoodlum.

What is a FAK?

If you're a teenager and want the cops to not mind you carrying three knives, you better be able to convince them that you are a harmless knife nerd.
Learn all the nerdiest specs of the knives; be able to bore them to death with the smallest details as to why this knife is so much more collectable than the ones at Walmart...things like that.

Harmless knife nerd is a valid reason for carrying a bunch of knives. :thumbsup:

In my experience that works sometimes. If you want it to work make sure to be extremely polite. "I just want to thank you for all you do and I know it's a hard job" try not to ham it up too much or they may feel you are insulting them. Even still they may try to confiscate your knife especially if it is over 3.5 inches. (Not actually Canadian law but I have never met a street cop who knows the canadian knife laws)

In my experience in Toronto most cops will look at the knife and lay the blade across their palm. If the blade is longer than their palm is wide they will try and tell you the knife is illegal. (There is no law based on this, I don't know why so many Toronto cops do it)

Lastly you have to accept that carrying in Canada a cop may confiscate your knife at any time. The favour they may be doing you is not charging you. They often will go "I'm confiscating this knife but won't write you up, now get out of here" That means you just donated your knife to that officer.

If a cop wants to search you be sure to tell him what knives you have on you located where. Don't try and conceal from a search or they will think for sure you are carrying as a weapon.

Technically if you have no intent to use it as a weapon you should be legally allowed to conceal a blade of any length on your person. Realistically it is best to have your knives visible. (Like folder clipped in pocket) as you will have a hard time convincing a cop that your concealed 11" bowie knife is for utility only.

L Logan_lemaire what 3 knives are you carrying?

Back