1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Candiru & Crow Hawke Comparison

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by ChumBucket, Feb 8, 2017.

1. ChumBucket

ChumBucket

Oct 3, 2011
    After I got my second Candiru (gave the first to a refugee), I saw the TOPS Crow Hawke online, but could not find any sites comparing the two.

I finally broke down and ordered the CH.

What's the same?
    The steel is almost identical in terms of hardness and how it takes an edge. Both are small enough to be carried comfortably as neckers or in the pocket. On the belt, both are easily concealed.

What's different?
    Sheaths: Candiru = molded plastic with a detachable clip plate. CH = Kydex, no clip (chain and cheap 'biner). The quality of the ESEE sheath is better, but it is larger and heavier; I prefer kydex as it's easy to customize. I put a titanium TAD clip on the CH, and the slimmer profile is preferable for belt carry.

Handle: the CH's textured micarta is grippier, but has some sharp corners and is smaller. The Candiru's is more ergonomic.

Usage: Both perform well in most daily tasks. The CH is easier to hold onto when cutting cardboard, but the Candiru produces less fatigue over time.

Bottom line without more extensive field testing of the TOPS knife: The Candiru feels like a more substantial, higher-quality knife, but at a 40% higher cost, it should. I would definitely choose the Candiru as a backup for camping or in my bugout bag. For daily use, the Crow Hawke's smaller package are preferable, albeit with the addition of a clip.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MattRuben

MattRuben Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2021
    Thanks for the comparison. I am on the hunt for a very compact fixed blade. You brought up good details I had not considered.

Any further opinion now that some time has passed with the CH?

3. jeepin

jeepin Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2003

Probably not. He hasn’t been on bladeforums since November of 2018.

4. Garrett Ferrell

Garrett Ferrell

Oct 5, 2019
    I’ve been considering getting a Candiru myself..I’ve had an Izula for a while,I bought the fire ant red Izula without scales and I originally done a paracord wrap which I wasn’t a fan of so ai bought some G-10 scales.the G-10 scales improved it greatly plus I love the fact the scales added an extra half inch or so to the handle length