Canis Issue - Liner Clip Screw Threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Canis design is not flawed. If you choose to attach an aftermarket part to a knife--especially a part that wasn't specifically designed for that product--and it doesn't fit, blaming the knife is illogical.

If you prefer aftermarket clips on your knives, it would be wise to invest in a digital caliper, so you can compare the thickness of the factory clip to your aftermarket clip. If the aftermarket clip is thicker, you will not achieve the same thread engagement of the factory screws in the liners and your clip will not be secure.

If you prefer a thicker aftermarket clip, you must take the initiative to purchase longer replacement screws of the appropriate size. Since Spyderco knives made in Taiwan, Japan, and China all use metric screws, you must find the appropriate size of metric screw. Also, the carbon fiber/G-10 laminate scales are purposely not threaded because they are not part of the screw engagement.

Stay safe,

Mike

Don't be so hasty. Do your clip screws engage the threads in the liner? If they do, your knife is not flawed. If they don't, are you willing to try some longer screws for the investment of a few cents? If not, are you willing to send it in to Spyderco for replacement of the screws?

I truly like the Canis. It really embodies the intent Kelly McCann envisioned.

Wait until I get the longer screws for my clip. If it works, I'll send you some screws for free.

Thanks for the above offer Murindo....I sincerely appreciate it! I found a new home for the knife: my father in law is thrilled with it. Feels good to make someone happy with all that's going on these days.

In this case, everyone won. :thumbsup:

If you prefer aftermarket clips on your knives, it would be wise to invest in a digital caliper, so you can compare the thickness of the factory clip to your aftermarket clip. If the aftermarket clip is thicker, you will not achieve the same thread engagement of the factory screws in the liners and your clip will not be secure.Mike

Mike you are 100% correct. However, the factory Spyderco clip is 0.040 inches thick while the new MXG deep carry clip is 0.050 inches thick. I would not think that 0.010 inches (ten thousandths of an inch) would make a critical difference. Had I done the measurement prior to installing the new clip, I still would have proceeded.

This has never been an issue with USA made Spyderco's. I have three Yojimbo's and one Chicagojimbo (very cool knife). All have MXG deep carry clips and use the original screws for mounting. I have an MXG clip in hand waiting for my Yojumbo when they are released.

I regret starting this post which now seems to taken on a life of it's own. I don't want to discourage anyone from buying a Canis. I don't want any new Canis owners to feel like they have defective goods. The Canis is a spectacular knife. If I was thinking more when doing the clip swap I would have found that the clip scews were metric and found some longer replacements.

Got my cheap screws from Amazon today. The 2 mm X 0.4 m X 6 mm worked but are slightly too long. Looks like the perfect size would be 2 mm X 0.4 mm X 5 mm

The 6 mm screws come close to the blade but do not touch. They certainly will not work for tip down carry.

I don't recommend the Amazon bulk screws for long term use. I'm waiting on the high quality screws I ordered from Boltdepot.

From my perspective this "issue" is closed. Sal, Michael, I promise next time to go to Spyderco technical support the next time I think I have an issue. I'm closing this thread.

Canis MXG.jpg Screw Tips.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back