Canoe origins?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Stich2442, Mar 20, 2020.

1. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Double post (again) o_O

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  2. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I wonder if this particular thread is "corrupted" somehow. I noticed this morning (Saturday) that there were new posts in the thread, so I read them, but the thread title on page 1 never indicates that I've read all the posts. It continues to display the little black dot next to the thread title that usually indicates unread posts.
    (Maybe there's a vast conspiracy the goal of which is to keep the origins of the canoe pattern hidden from mere mortals such as I am. :eek::rolleyes:)

- GT

3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Felt like carrying mine and sharing it today. :)
    [​IMG]

4. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    I'd post mine but I can't post pictures for some reason. I was going to add some pictures last night too but cannot.

JohnDF likes this.
  5. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    One thing about copperheads is they typically have a clip or drop blade (or both) and all the canoes I can think of have spears. Anybody recall ever seeing a canoe with other than spear blades?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

unklfranco, Headwinds, Dschal and 4 others like this.
  6. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    CSCK-1D.JPG

unklfranco, 315, Headwinds and 4 others like this.
  7. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    BOKERSTAG (1).JPG

unklfranco, 315, Headwinds and 4 others like this.
  8. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    Most canoes I've seen certainly have the standard spear/pen on opposite ends blade combo.
    1. But I have a Schatt & Morgan #64 with smooth red bone covers that has a sheepsfoot (maybe even lambsfoot) main and pen secondary (thanks, Michael).
    canoe.mark.2open.jpg

2. I have a large (≥ 4" closed) Rough Rider Christmas canoe with spear main and spey secondary.
    canoe.christmas.mark.2open.jpg

3. I have a 3-blade black lip pearl RR large canoe/gunboat with spear/sheepsfoot/spey combo set up just like a typical stockman (if a stockman had a spear main instead of a clip - like a Case humpback stockman).
    pearl.mark.3open horiz.stand.jpg

4. I have a 3-blade 1978 NKCA gunboat with spear/pen on one end and a spey on the opposite end.
    gunNKCA.mark.open.jpg

5. I have a 4-blade Fight'n Rooster canoe with spear/spey on one end and pen/coping on opposite end.
    gunboat.mark.4open.jpg

6. Then there are the canittlers with whittler blade set-up on canoe frame. I have a couple of RR models with locking spear main and pen/coping on opposite end.
    ambercanittler.mark.3open.flat.chair.jpg

- GT

9. mbkr

May 20, 2018
    I'm guessing you like the canoe pattern :)
    I forgot about the canittlers -and I have two of those. Still, with the exception of your S&M, all of them have a spear main.

10. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    Good guess! I think I currently have 50 canoes. :rolleyes:
    And you're right - all but one have spearpoint main.

- GT

Pt-Luso, veitsi_poika and mbkr like this.
  11. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    My only canoe. A 1965-69 two blade single spring. Perfect size, and slim in the pocket.

[​IMG]

unklfranco, 315, .577NE and 7 others like this.
  12. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    These seem to be the oldest examples that are out there, does anyone have an example of one from before the mid 1960's?

pmek5 likes this.
  13. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    Here's a post I ran across this morning in an old thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/canoe-pattern.640844/
    The sig line of the post didn't get quoted, but here it is:
    "Steve Pfeiffer, author of the book Collecting Case knives, Identification and Price Guide, released in October, 2009"

- GT

Pt-Luso, mbkr and JB in SC like this.
  14. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    Steve is a BF member. I contributed some information on the Case Loomfixer in his last book.

15. mbkr

May 20, 2018
    Anybody know when Union/Kabar was a "Case related company"?

I'm not going to disagree with a guy, who literally wrote the book, but I never realized that Case and Kabar were associated. I spent the last half hour down the internet rabbit hole, and beyond a Case being in there by marriage, I can't find anything. Kabar doesn't mention it in their history on their webpage.

Anyway, sorry for the mini hijack, just read that and it made me go hmmm hmmm.gif

16. bladecollectorr

bladecollectorr

Oct 7, 2017
    unklfranco, Headwinds, pmek5 and 3 others like this.
  17. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
    Union Cutlery Co was run by grandsons of Job Case, Wallace and Emerson Brown.

mbkr likes this.
  18. mbkr

May 20, 2018
    Thanks! So there was no business tie in - associated by family?

19. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
    Doesn't appear to be.

There was a Union Knife Works run by Platt Family members for a few years (1911-1913) but the two companies were not related.