Can't find the medium 2x8 Spyderco stone anywhere

CSG

I'm a fool for their sharpening gear and use a Sharpmaker plus have a pair of their pocket stones. I decided I wanted the medium (brown/gray) bench stone but it seems to be out of stock everywhere. Anyone know why and when it might come back in stock?

So does Spyderco not make these here in the USA? Is this a Covid issue for the production of this particular stone? It's interesting the the fine and ultra-fine stones are available everywhere just not the medium.

I got mine at Knifeworks just a couple weeks ago, worth taking a look. Love mine, it's an essential part of my sharpening now.

Edit : they're out of stock. Sorry!

Brownell's may have them. Gotta give them a call today.

Turns out Brownell's did have them and was able to pick up both the medium and fine at a discounted price ($46.50 each plus tax and shipping). I have a professional account with them from the old days. Still, had to pay tax and shipping so $103.53 total. Point being, they were the *only* dealer I could find online that had the medium stone.

BTW, I called Spyderco and talked to an employee who said they were made there in Colorado. He had no clue when they would be making more. He said it was their most popular bench stone (no real surprise) and blamed it on Covid.

My favorite stone, congrats ! For the normal stainless M390, S90V, S35VN, etc., nothing else I ever need. Just the right bite.

My knives are mostly all 154CM, S30V, 420HC, D2 and whatever Victorinox uses. I've never had an issue sharpening them. That said, I've never once reprofiled a knife blade. But for sharpening, I suppose a Spyderco medium rod or stone is really all one *needs* to get a great working edge, at least for me.

I've gotten the last 5 Spyderco sharpening tools at New Graham. Now I haven't bought anything from them since last Oct. But they have always been able to get what I've wanted from them in the past few years I've dealt with them. You might also try SFO ( the Spyderco Factory Outlet) and the phone number for them is on Spyderco.com website. good luck

Guess you didn't read my post...

Turns out Brownell's did have them and was able to pick up both the medium and fine at a discounted price ($46.50 each plus tax and shipping). I have a professional account with them from the old days. Still, had to pay tax and shipping so $103.53 total. Point being, they were the *only* dealer I could find online that had the medium stone.

FD5F3259-266C-4711-940F-748DE63D997D.jpeg 9D901F0E-5EE4-4B7B-955C-6D40B1E0A185.jpeg
Spyderco ceramics are excellent stones and there really are not many similar alternative stones out there either.

The only other ones I have are a couple of the cheap Smiths ceramics and 2 small pocket stones that I got from Garrett Wade in the early 1990’s.
These pocket stones are very dense and nice quality.
These were pretty pricey though, I think they were 40 dollars for the pair which was good money then.

Back