Car Alarms / LoJack Questions

I'm very close to buying a new car now, and I'm a bit worried because my present car has been stolen once and broken into several times. I've been considering LoJack, but I would think that as clever as some criminals are they have got to have figured out a way to defeat this system by now. Any of you guys out there actually have LoJack installed on your car? Any experiences you'd like to share? Any other companies similar to LoJack that are good, but don't cost as much?

I have an alarm, ignition cut off, and a Grant removeable steering wheel on my present car. Yes, that's right, I can actually remove the steering wheel from my car.
524422_22.jpg

524422_11.jpg

Pretty neat huh? Works well, but I dont think it will work with newer cars because of the air bag built into the steering wheel. I generally think an alarm is a good idea, but as we all know when a car alarm goes off its more noise pollution than anything else. Still, I'd like to install one in my new car. Any recommendations?

Bruise

I have a LoJack system on my vehicle. Haven't used it yet. (knock on wood). The company has a newer system that will notify you via phone, e-mail, or alpha pager if your vehicle has been moved. You can check your vehicle sooner to see if it has been stolen. Clifford alarms has a system where you can even track your vehicle online via GPS signal .

If you are a decent electrician do like we do on airplanes and install a hidden switch. On an airplane you can put it in plain view because the are so many switches. I'd hide it on my car. Peoples initial thought is the battery is dead. Again , more common an aircraft which sit for long periods.

Hello,

I have Lojack in my SUV.

Knock on wood, never had to use it.

I've heard that the thing car thieves do now is bring the car to a lot and see if the police come to it within 24 hours. Another thing I've heard (don't know if it's true) is that some chop shops have now lined their shops (don't know with what) to stop the signal.

A friend at work got his Acura stolen 2 years ago. The cops found it in a few hours due to the Lojack system. Only damage was the steering wheel where they hot wired his car. It was found in a parking lot, so the thieves were probably doing trick number 1.

I figure I'm better off with the system than without it. Is it perfect? Nope. But like they say, if a thief really, really wants your car, there isn't much you can do about it.

I have a Lojack in my Jeep Cherokee. I also have a hidden kill switch hidden in the dash. I had to register my LoJack for $99 when I became the second owner. Luckily, I haven't had to use it.

No steering wheel? I seem to recall pics of some guy steering with a vise-grips...

Back