Car knives and emergency kits

How's that latest rendition of Murphy's Law go again?

You only ever really need something when you forget to include it.

I've steadily come to realise over the past few months that self-reliance in the midst of an emergency is the only way to go. Whether that be in a self-defense situation, a car breakdown, or any of the innumerable situations that potentially may crop up in daily life, relying on someone else to save your neck is an irresponsible and reckless action.

Therefore, a week ago, I went shopping around to assemble a list of goods to keep in my car in case of emergencies. It's a fairly short list of items, but I hope it will grow in the future. Currently, it includes:

Storable High-energy food, (powerbars, nuts)
Juice boxes
Flashlights
Space Blankets
Whistles
Tarp
Rope
Fixed blade Swedish Frost's knife
Candles/Matches/Bic lighters
Lots of spare change
Pencils and paper
First Aid Supplies

I feel the biggest lack in this kit is appropriate tools and the knowledge to use them.

Of course, wouldn't you know it, my car broke down in the suburbs a good 6-7 km from my house at 2:00 am three days ago. And the neatly packaged "survival kit" I'd assembled was sitting at home in my living room. Naturally, since Murphy never does anything half-way, it so happened that I'd gone to play badminton with my friends that night, and I'd left the Leatherman, UKE 2L flashlight, and other assorted belt-carried goodies at home.
frown.gif

Thankfully, I was at least one step ahead of total disaster, in that I never leave home without several quarters, so once I found a payphone at the then-closed corner store, I was able to call for help from friends and family. However, depending on your city, wandering around in the middle of the night is often a less than desirable action.

Moral of the story: Be prepared. I'd be interested in hearing what everyone else keeps in their cars, and whether they have the working knowledge to fix common breakdown problems. Several of my friends and family don't know how to change a tire! Last but not least, please mention if you're an urban or a rural resident.

Ian

My car kit is similiar to yours with the following differences - I don't have any food stuffs (I know I probably should); farily extensive tool selection; battery jumper cables (I noticed you didn't mention these - you should get them) and flares. The knife I have in my car kit is an old, battered, 6", carbon steel, clip-point hunter (brand long since forgotten).

I live in a rural area and have fairly good mechanical ability (short of trying to fix the electronics on modern vehicles).

I always have a cell phone with me as well as whatever knives I happen to be carrying.

------------------
Bill (Yes, we carry knives in Canada - we need them to fight off the polar bears and militant Eskimos ;) )

My (very incomplete) car stores include:

Fire starter
Flashlight
Compass
First Aid kit
Pad & pen
Maps
Heavy-duty rechargeable Spotlight
Gravel
Folding Shovel
4" stout stainless fixed blade (was a prototype I never made any more of)

I really need to get around to adding the "food & shelter" components; I'll try to take your "Murphy" story as a reminder of what can happen if I don't finish preparing.

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

While not having a car of mine own (ahh the joys of being underage, free transportation), the father of one of my friends always has a rather complete assortment in his trunk.

3 Spare pairs of BDUs
Half Case MRE's
Bolo/Machette thingy made out of leaf spring
S&W .357 (ammo in glovebox)
Fire making supplies
blankies
flares
tools
jumpercables

Plus he's one of the scarist woodsmen i've ever met.

Oh well, i'll take my bus fare anyday.

-Poz

You guys mentioned alot of good things but forgot about two of the things you should always have in any vehicle that you drive.
1. A roll of QUALITY DUCT TAPE. You wouldn't believe how many uses that this has and how strong it is.
2. A good pair of leather palmed work gloves.

P.S.-
Never,ever go out of the house without some sort of knife clipped to your clothing, in your pocket, on your waist, or hung from your neck, because you just never know when the s**t is going to hit the fan..(take this from someone who has seen Many,Many bad guys).

------------------
C.O.'s-"It takes balls to work behind the walls "

Jailhack,

You're quite right. I was cursing under my breath the entire stroll to the pay phone about having to rely on my awareness skills, and the small stick I'd picked up, to keep me out of trouble. While I was in a good area of town, omitting your daily carry items because the sportwear you've got on doesn't permit easy carry is the beginning of a bad habit. Comfort, and the inability to walk by a large magnet without getting permanently stuck, should never get in the way of carrying stuff.
smile.gif

I'm just a bit leery of going back to my Eclipse or Delica, which won't drag my badminton shorts down like the boat anchor AFCK which (usually) lives in my right front pocket. I don't trust the 830 lock, having collapsed it on a spine-whack, and I don't like that the Delica clip runs counter to the pivot-mounted clips I've become accustomed to on the right side.

I've been toying with the idea of going to all butt-mounted knives to improve muscle memory, which would mean ditching the AFCK for the Axis-lock, but I haven't yet stepped across that bridge.

Ian

Can I get back to you gentle posters on this subject? You are doing an admirable job so far, and have mentioned the majority of items that I carry.

As it happens, I am making up some more emergency kits, which are roughly the size of a briefcase, but about 8" or so thick. I have one in every car; that way I never forget it
wink.gif

Let me get through making my new kits up, as there are some new items (Krill lights, Photon lights, xenon lamps for the Mag Lights, among others)I am including, and I can give you my latest and most complete recommendations. Since you are already doing so well, this will probably consist of very few items. I will let you know. Walt

Some other things that leap to mind:

• A big towel and a change of clothes.
• Add two twenties to the spare change.
• A real jack, not the knuckle buster that came with the car.
• Potable water.
• Spare leatherman®.
• GPS. Seriously. They're under $100 now.
• If you don't have a cell phone, weasle an old analog one from someone who has upgraded to digital, you can always dial 911 on it.
• Spare fuses, bulbs, and distributor cap (I swear you'll thank me for that one someday).
• And, perhaps most important, the ordnance of your choice for boot/bonnet/under-dash.

Start thinking too long, and by the time you're comfortable with your selection, you'll have to buy an SUV and take the rear seat out.

Joe

Jailhack:
I'll second you on the duct tape; versatile stuff. Also throw in a container of dental floss. You would be suprised on how many uses it has!

Jailhack:
I'll second you on the duct tape; versatile stuff. Also throw in a container of dental floss. You would be suprised on how many uses it has!

Jailhack:

Jailhack:

I'll second you on the duct tape, it is very versatile. Throw in a container of dental floss, you would be surprised how many uses it has!

Jailhack:

I'll second you on the duct tape, it is very versatile. Throw in a container of dental floss, you would be surprised how many uses it has!

Jailhack:

DDS,

WOW, 6 posts in one, I think that's a new record.

Protein,

If you are used to a pivot side mounted clip, you might want to look at the Spydie Dragonfly. Small, lightweight, and a fine blade design.

The most important thing though is that there are literally hundreds of different knives out there, find one that you like and make sure it goes with you all the time, because your life might depend on it.

Also, one other thing I forgot to add to the kit...a pair of Vise-Grips.

So sorry for the multiple replies but my computer has been doing weird things or maybe you guys might have answers. Each time I attempt to post a reply, I get a confimation and am taken back to the topic and it never shows my reply??? I have exited and reentered the website and I still don't see my posted reply. I just now rebooted after about 30 min of down time and entered the forums to find the multiple submissions!
Does it take awhile for the replies to post?

Please help so I don't annoy others if I am doing something wrong. Thanks

DDS

Protein, we're getting a little off the topic here; but I agree with your dilemna (spelling?) of having both tip up and down knives. I have mostly tip up knives and find the 'fumble-factor' increases when I carry a tip down knife. The Delica is a great knife to clip onto sport clothing due to its light weight. Maybe try clipping it on the rear of the elastic waist, over the right hip. Since you normally carry your tip down knife in your front right pocket this may reduce the fumbling because you are reaching for the delica in a different spot. This works for me when I carry my gerber covert on the weekends clipped in my right rear pocket.

------------------
Bill (Yes, we carry knives in Canada - we need them to fight off the polar bears and militant Eskimos ;) )

I live in the suburbs and manage a Farm on the weekends. This tends to get me out at all hours and in just about any terrain. From residential streets to the interstate to
back roads then finally to the dirt roads and then the fields. The only items I have not seen on the post I might add are a "universal fan belt" and a good quality walking stick. I carry both a 36' cane and a 62'staff. Because of the possible need for higher firepower at the farm I generally carry a Ruger Ranch rifle with scope for varmits. We have been infested with both two and four legged cattle rustlers in the last three years. I now work part time for a new tactical gear company and am in the process of designing a modular carry system for my bailout kits. The contents are ever changeing with the new equipment available ie. Leatherman wave for old style, REKAT pioneer for Buck 110.

Safe journeys,

ts

DDS,

When you go back to the page it is being reloaded from the cache so your reply does not appear. Try holding the shift key and hitting "reload", should load the page from the server with your reply. Works for me anyway
smile.gif

------------------
Take care,
Clay

"A witty saying proves nothing." Voltaire :)

Clay:
I'm trying what you suggested with this reply. Hope it works!
Thanks!

DDS

Back