Carabiner or similar for keys?

I'm looking for a quality carabiner or something similar to hang my keys on. 2-2,5 inches long, not to bulky, strong spring or extra lock is a plus.

When I say I want quality I mean something I don't have to worry about falling apart with normal use.

Do you have any suggestions?

nite-ize s-biners are pretty good, and can be had with a locking mechanism. it would be hard to find a biner that would actually thread through most keys. The S-biner size 1s will but they are maybe an inch long. I also have a night-ize key-rack which is pretty good, if you get one, get the one with steel biners, not plastic.

nite-ize s-biners are pretty good, and can be had with a locking mechanism. it would be hard to find a biner that would actually thread through most keys. The S-biner size 1s will but they are maybe an inch long. I also have a night-ize key-rack which is pretty good, if you get one, get the one with steel biners, not plastic.

I forgot to mention that my keys have key rings on them. The keys are arranged on different rings, so the carabiner is to keep them together.

Nite Ize number 4 is what I use for key.

Breakdown of Nite Ize s-biners.

Size #.5 Dimensions: 1.31" x 0.48" x 0.22" | 33.41mm x 12.40mm x 5.74mm Weight: 0.11oz | 3.00g weight rating: 3 lb.
Size # 1 Dimensions: 1.56" x 0.62" x 0.21" | 39.67mm x 15.86mm x 5.50mmWeight: 0.14oz | 4.00g weight rating: 5 lb.
Size # 2 Dimensions: 1.95" x 0.85" x 0.24" | 49.75mm x 21.71mm x 6.15mm Weight: 0.25oz | 7.00g weight rating: 10 lb.
Size # 3 Dimensions: 2.67" x 1.18" x 0.26" | 67.97mm x 30.09mm x 6.83mm Weight: 0.49oz | 14.00g weight rating: 25 lb.
Size # 4 Dimensions: 3.52" x 1.57" x 0.31" | 89.41mm x 39.92mm x 7.94mm Weight: 1.06oz | 30.00g weight rating: 75 lb.
Size # 5 Dimensions: 4.38" x 1.93" x 0.33" | 111.41mm x 49.19mm x 8.45mm Weight: 1.69oz | 48.00g weight rating: 100 lb.

Google handgrey titanium carabiner, find the kickstarter link (I'd post the link directly, but that counts as advertising), and email the maker. The project has been funded, but he'll take on more orders if you just email him. Comes in various shapes and either titanium, copper, or brass. This is a follow up to his one piece design of a titanium carabiner, one piece as in the spring is part of the design.

I ordered the copper h3c. I'm not gonna link the other pictures. You can find them on the kickstarter.
fffa89f5ec79f01e3855ba1e7d9407ad_large.jpg

Here is my original one piece, just to show what the designer is capable of.
zmz7sy.jpg

359mlh3.jpg

Last edited:
I like Metolius F.S. Mini Carabiners for this, though they are a bit wider than what harkamus posted (they also aren't locking).

I got tired of my key biners failing and having to look for keys. I bought a locking d climbing biner. I want to say by omega. haven't looked back....as least for my keys.

X2 get a caribiner meant for climbing, black diamond, petzl, dmm, edelrid etc. they are strong, relatively cheap and should last a lifetime as a key ring.

If you want something that is more like a key fob, take a look at the Jack Spade Lobster Claw Key Fob

WPRU0130_030_1_S

I got my carabiners specifically because they don't look like rock climbing gear. They're obviously non-load bearing, but work splendidly with keys and the like.

I'm looking for a quality carabiner or something similar to hang my keys on. 2-2,5 inches long, not to bulky, strong spring or extra lock is a plus.

When I say I want quality I mean something I don't have to worry about falling apart with normal use.

Do you have any suggestions?
You can find tons of stuff at hiking/sporting good stores. I like DMM Alpha, Shadow, and Spectre.

I use the Maxpedition gear retractor (clip version) to hold my keys. You can clip it to a D-ring on 5.11 pants or a belt loop on your jeans, and it lets you pull your keys away and release them without having to stuff them into your pocket. There's also a quick release feature so you can detach the keys from the cable when you need the keys to be free (like handing them to someone, or putting a car key into the ignition).

It really is a great set up. Very convenient, more versatile than a 'biner, yet it frees up your pockets the same way. Consider giving it a shot.

I hang Maxpedition keyper from my belt, and let the keys sit at the side of front pocket. Works really good, and is comfortable way of carrying keys in your pocket instead of putting them in the bottom. The downside is that the paint on it is absolute crap and will wear out in matter of days, so consider that if your stuff needs to look good. :D It has good spring though!

I have one of those lobster claws that K1W1 posted. It is made of 316L SS. Got it at a marine/boating supply store over 30 years ago. Still have it, still use it every day.

The reason I like this design, it that the gate is a torsion bar. I think it puts minimal stress on the spring mechanism so it won't fatigue as easily. Springs and pivots seem like they are the most likely part to fail.

Ric

Google handgrey titanium carabiner, find the kickstarter link (I'd post the link directly, but that counts as advertising), and email the maker. The project has been funded, but he'll take on more orders if you just email him. Comes in various shapes and either titanium, copper, or brass. This is a follow up to his one piece design of a titanium carabiner, one piece as in the spring is part of the design.

I ordered the copper h3c. I'm not gonna link the other pictures. You can find them on the kickstarter.
fffa89f5ec79f01e3855ba1e7d9407ad_large.jpg

Here is my original one piece, just to show what the designer is capable of.
zmz7sy.jpg

359mlh3.jpg

Out of all the suggestions those are the ones I like the best. Pricey, but very likable. If I get one I'll most likely have it for a very long time.

How do you like your one piece? does it feel sturdy?

Out of all the suggestions those are the ones I like the best. Pricey, but very likable. If I get one I'll most likely have it for a very long time.

How do you like your one piece? does it feel sturdy?
I love it. It feels sturdy enough to me, but then again I put it on my belt loop and only take it off when I need to use it. I've read reports of some guys playing with the gate like some people flick open knives a bazillion times a day; they've complained that the gate ends up not closing all the way. But we're talking 1000s of times a day just opening and closing the gate before that happens. And if it does happen, you just bend it back. That said, I don't think the new ones will have that problem. Anyway, if you prefer the one piece design, email him and see if he still has some or when he'll make another run. Google Bauhaus titanium carabiner for his old kickstarter if you want to see all the designs in the one piece.

EDIT: What I love most about his carabiner designs is that they actually look purposely made just for carrying keys and keychains. They don't look at all like rock climbing, load bearing carabiners. They have nice industrial sort of design to them. Plus they come in various sizes. The one piece I got, I got because it was a bit longer than the others, so that when I clip it on my belt loop, I can tuck my keys in my back pocket. I hate keys just jangling when I move about.

EDIT 2: Also, my particular design (as well as a few others in his one piece line up) has an integrated bottle opener. You see the little point in the design when the gate is opened? That's the bottle opener.

Get your locks keyed alike, put them on a ring, put the keyring in your pocket.

No need hanging them on your belt and jangling like a set of sleigh bells.

Back