Carbon Fiber and Carbon+Kevlar BK2 and BK11 Sheaths

Here's my first try at making some carbon fiber and carbon+kevlar sheaths for my BK2 and BK11. I got the idea by watching some kaydex vids on youtube and thought, why not? I still need to install some eyelets on these and put on a finish, but so far they've turned out pretty good for my first try.

This one is my first try. Has some mistakes, but turned out really well and works great:
12100097.jpg

Here's my BK2 sheath. Next time I'll probably do 3 layers instead of 2 for added strength. It's really light.
12100096.jpg

Finally, here's my Carbon+Kevlar sheath. Fits pretty well. The kevlar makes it flame and cut resistant. I broke several dremel blades trying to cut the thing.

12100095.jpg

I've got a couple youtube videos on these sheaths as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2RpjJNt2LE&list=UUYsrtV3bbClm99SJcLAqS0Q&index=1&feature=plcp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suBF69QlJvY&list=UUYsrtV3bbClm99SJcLAqS0Q&index=2&feature=plcp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSo7dad2C8Y&list=UUYsrtV3bbClm99SJcLAqS0Q&index=3&feature=plcp

Comments suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

New market?

Either way, they look very interesting, keep us updated.

Welcome to the asylum, restrooms are out that door and down about 200 feet.

Haha. My motivation is purely selfish. Need to replace the less-than-awesome stock sheaths and one-up all the other kaydex sheaths out there. I'm not good enough to do this for others yet and I have no idea if there is a market for these kind of sheaths. They are a little more expensive and difficult to make than the standard kaydex sheaths. I didn't even know it would work at all when I started. Learning tons though and having fun. So that makes it worth it to me.

Looks good. How does the kevlar not dull the knife? Just curious.

Good question. I'll find out soon. The whole point of these was to replace the knife-dulling stock sheaths with something awesome. I'll give my knives some sharp and test these out.

Update: just sharpened the bk11 to the point where I can shave arm hair. I inserted/removed from the Kevlar sheath about 30 times. Still shaves hair. This doesn't exactly prove to me that it will never dull the knife, but it's promising.

run the edge over the kevlar a few times act as if your cutting the kevlar, just use less force, ride the edge across it, and try and shave again. this way you will know what the kevlar will do when the edge rides on it, not just carefully pulling it in and out.

I have a bk2 and bk11 with factory sheaths. im careful and draw it putting pressure on the spine riding out, not letting the edge rub. i have not had any issues with dulling. i took my knives and ran them across both the bk11 and bk2 factory sheaths. the bk2 sheath did in fact dull the blade noticeably, the bk11 sheath didnt do much of anything to the edge. when comparing the two i noticed that the 11 sheath was a more rigid rough texture, im guessing the newer sheath with less glass content, and the bk2 sheath was alot smoother, im guessing higher glass content, the bk2 sheath dulled both knives but the bk11 sheath didnt do no where near as much to either blades. just be careful drawing your knife. kevlar will in fact dull a knife.

dont get me wrong kevlar is a great material. kevlar is high stretch resistance and extremely durable, but dulls blades and scissors, just use care sheathing and unsheathing and make sure the knife doesnt rattle in the sheath. you should be good to go, enjoy!

Those sheaths look really nice. I like the BK2 sheath quite a bit, how it comes up over the handle.

Those sheaths look really nice. I like the BK2 sheath quite a bit, how it comes up over the handle.

Thanks.

I put a bit of clay on the handle when I was molding it to give it a little bit of a lip so it'd be easier to insert remove the knife. The other side is flush with the handle. It's pretty secure, but I think next time I'll do 3 layers of carbon instead of only 2 and lip both sides.

The kevlar/carbon is supposed to be a brighter yellow + black. It looks greenish and more dull because of the poly resin I used. Epoxy resin would have been better and let the colors come out more. If I do another, I'll probably do 2 layers of carbon and the outer layer kevlar. That will reduce dulling when inserting/removing the knife. I'm always surprised at how strong and light this stuff is. It's about 28% lighter than the stock BK2 sheath.

Hey trip.....

Welcome.........Interesting work.......something new and novel....Wow........

Ethan

Good question. I'll find out soon. The whole point of these was to replace the knife-dulling stock sheaths with something awesome. I'll give my knives some sharp and test these out.

As long as the edge does not rub on the way in or out it should be good

Here's my second attempt at the bk2 carbon fiber sheath. This time, I devised a new technique to get a more firm fit. The blade in the first bk2 sheath I made rattles around inside, but this one is rock solid. I used 2 layers of carbon fabric with one layer of kevlar+carbon sandwiched in between. Should have some pretty decent strength.

220982_10151306869978749_391925631_o.jpg

259552_10151306868513749_901145124_o.jpg

Here's a stupid video of my latest sheath. I screwed up on the eyelets, but otherwise, this sheath is perfect.

http://youtu.be/1rrsEZNpgPw

As always, any suggestions/critiques are appreciated. I'm thinking of adding a "dee ring" and webbing for a drop leg attachment. The dee ring would be fabricated to the sheath by carbon. This makes it one piece and very strong.

Last edited:
Back