Carbon Fibre scales - can you smooth the edges?

I have a new commercially made lockback folder that has carbon fibre scales on the handle that have non-smooth (I think even 90%s) edges making the grip a little uncomfortable. I won't name the make and model as I know I would get a lot of folks defending it and I don't want this thread to go there. I do really like the knife with the exception of the rough feel in the hand when tightly griped.

I would like a smooth feel to the handle and not the almost sharp edges that it has now.

Can I use a dremel tool or file to the edges to smooth them out or is this not advisable? I would have thought this would have been done at the factory but it wasn't. It makes me wonder why? Does carbon fibre crack or splinter easily?

It might splinter with a file, but sandpaper should be fine. Wear gloves though. Carbon dust itches like crazy.

CWL

Use a mask (preferably not just a surgical mask), proper clothing and do it outdoors or in a shop with proper ventilation filtration.

Carbon fiber 'fibers' and dust is seriously bad ju-ju for your lungs.

me2

How about wet sanding? I had a blemish on my G-10 handled Benchmade Ares that I sanded out using wet 600 grit sandpaper.

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
It might splinter with a file, but sandpaper should be fine. Wear gloves though. Carbon dust itches like crazy.

Use a mask (preferably not just a surgical mask), proper clothing and do it outdoors or in a shop with proper ventilation filtration.

Carbon fiber 'fibers' and dust is seriously bad ju-ju for your lungs.

How about wet sanding? I had a blemish on my G-10 handled Benchmade Ares that I sanded out using wet 600 grit sandpaper.

What they said. Sandpaper is the way to go, but use a mask. And I would recommend gloves because the fiber particles make your skin itchy.

I remember when carbon fiber first came out a few years ago, there were dire warnings not to reshape it due to the dangers of breathing the dust.

All good advice, 600 grit wet/dry and also wear eye protection and do outside with wind blowing away from you.

Bill DeShivs

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Just sand it wet- no dust!
Use rubber gloves- no irritation!
Bill

Start with a narrow file to put a 45degree chamfer on it. Then refine/round the edges with 320 grit SiC sandpaper (wet). You can finish up with 600 grit if the 320 leaves too rough a surface.