carbon steel care

Hey there knuts.

I've got a 1095 sharpfinger that I put a mustard and vinegar patina on, and now I'm going to send it off for custom handle slabs and a little bit of file work, and I will need to redo the patina afterwards.

Is there anything I can do to remove the old patina? I like it as is but I'd like to experiment and this is the only carbon steel I have.

cheers guys

You can steel wool it off, or use a 1500-2000 grit paper to polish it off. Everytime I touch up my knife on a strop, the patina comes off.

You can steel wool it off, or use a 1500-2000 grit paper to polish it off. Everytime I touch up my knife on a strop, the patina comes off.

+1

The patina is extremely thin. You could probably even use Flitz or some other metal polish to clean it off.

I put a patina on my Bark River Highland, then one of the scale slabs came loose (Impala horn just epoxied on - no pins). When I sent it to BRKT for repair, they added hollow pins and sent it back. My patina was gone. I don;t know what they did, but I immediately thought they buffed it off with a grinder, muslim wheel, and some rouge - probably red.

Back