Carbon steel screws

This could also go in the Becker or Ka-bar threads but it can apply to any brand with carbon steel screws. After a long while I saw there were some surface rust on the screws of my Becker BK-9. I was wondering what the best way would be to remove the rust without removing the black coating. And after reassembling should I put some oil on the parts that is visible?
Thanks

There is rust ontop of the coating? That sounds odd to me.

Toothpicks and some WD40 are probably you best friend there.

There is rust ontop of the coating? That sounds odd to me.

Toothpicks and some WD40 are probably you best friend there.
It worked, thanks for advice. I will be putting some blue loctite on as well, how tight should the scale screws on a fixed blade be? Sounds like a stupid question but unlike with my folders, I tighten it till it stops but if I give a small amount of more pressure it turns a bit more (feels like a squeeze type of turn if that makes sense) it also has the upgraded linen micarta scales so I don't want to put too much pressure on the micarta

It worked, thanks for advice. I will be putting some blue loctite on as well, how tight should the scale screws on a fixed blade be? Sounds like a stupid question but unlike with my folders, I tighten it till it stops but if I give a small amount of more pressure it turns a bit more (feels like a squeeze type of turn if that makes sense) it also has the upgraded linen micarta scales so I don't want to put too much pressure on the micarta

Micarta is pretty tough stuff. Typically with scale screws I use a bit of blue loctite and tighten it pretty hard without risking stripping the screws. You don't usually need to take the scales off much on a fixed blade so the goal is to make sure they don't come loose when you don't want them to.

Micarta is pretty tough stuff. Typically with scale screws I use a bit of blue loctite and tighten it pretty hard without risking stripping the screws. You don't usually need to take the scales off much on a fixed blade so the goal is to make sure they don't come loose when you don't want them to.
True, this is the first fixed blade I removed the scales and it was only because I got the new micarta scales.

Pin the scales with brass, stainless, copper and you wont have to worry about cheap carbon SHCS. What do you need to remove scales for? This is what I have done for all my Beckers because the factory scales are actual excrement, and the wood ones I make look and feel much better.

Back