Care and feeding of carbon steel damascus

I recently began my collection (began indulging my obsession?) by ordering a matched set of damascus daggers. They are gestating nicely, and now I'm trying to set up the nursery in anticipation of their arrival. What I'd like to have is some feedback from all the experts out there. What I know is that:
1. I like pretty, pointy things.
2. Many pretty, pointy things must be cared for in a very particular way in order for them to stay both pretty and pointy.

I intend to keep these knives at hand, so to speak. They will be works of art when they are done (Audra Draper's work is amazingly beautiful and must not be hidden away in a drawer, Massachusetts idiocy be damned) and I will want to have a way to carry them in a sheath or scabbard that can be tied or otherwise secured shut, as well as a way to display them in the house. Maybe a case or such that could be mounted the wall? Also, I'd love advice as to the care of these beauties over time...

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax
and get used to the idea.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Have you talked to Audra about this?
That's where I would start.
wink.gif

------------------
"Will work 4 Knives!"
My PhotoPoint Site

Yes, I have asked Audra for her feedback, and she has given me some suggestions. She doesn't feel comfortable making sheaths for these knives, though, so I am in the market for another maker for those. Mostly, I seem to have several options and would like some feedback on other's experiences.

It will be awhile before the knives are complete, so I figure I have plenty of time to investigate my options and run my choices past her.

For one of Audras blades, I'd also suggest to take the other materials into account. Some things that preserve carbon steels may have an adverse affect on say, mother of pearl or some guard materials.
She makes lovely blades, you won't regret your purchase.

------------------
Oz

"His name is Robert Paulson."
http://www.freespeech.org/oz/

Minerva, you can't go wrong using Renaissance Wax. A little bit goes a long way and protects blade and handle materials well. Humidity is one thing you want to control if you can. Changes in humidity effect materials such as wood and the ivory, and will promote rust. For display you might want to consider a stand or wall mount that only contacts the knives in a few spots reducing the chance of chemical contact or moisture getting attracted and trapped. My last thought is check them regularly and wax periodically to head off any developing problem.

Back