Caribbean

Another home run sir, I already told my friends and family back in Hawaii to get this bad boy for the fishing and beach trips. It's also great for the wet climate in here in the pacific northwest. Definitely going on hiking and camping trips. Although i am a bit jealous that this wasn't named the "Hawaiian".

Right now my two favorites the sharibbean brothers.

HbxOvkj.jpg

That's a nice clip! Is it difficult to get it in and out of pocket without the clip being on the flat spot?

Is there any update on when Spyderco will release the Caribbean XL? I anticipate a pointy-tip modded XL sheepsfoot kicking the 204-P Millie (carried almost daily since I bought it late last year) out of my pocket...

Is there any update on when Spyderco will release the Caribbean XL?.
IIRC, Sal had said that plans for the larger Caribbean were shelved because demand for the existing model was limited. I think that’s a shame, so if folks want to show him there is interest . .

No need for an XL Caribbean,the knife works fantastic as is (drop point) for me!and as for size,i have XXXL hands and the Caribbean fit's perfect.

demand for the existing model was limited

That's a real shame.

No need for an XL Caribbean,the knife works fantastic as is (drop point) for me!and as for size,i have XXXL hands and the Caribbean fit's perfect.

Sal originally said it would be a bigger blade in the same handle. Even if you don't want it, others might. I sure do.

How much bigger could the blade be in the same handle? I really like the one I have as a everyday work knife around the farm.

How much bigger could the blade be in the same handle? I really like the one I have as a everyday work knife around the farm.
He didn’t say it would be the same handle, he said the blade would be lengthened more than the handle as the handle on the existing Caribbean is larger than needed to accommodate the blade it has.

I've been carrying my Caribbean for awhile, and I think it might be Spyderco's most underrated knife. I love it!

That seems to be saying same handle, larger blade.

I believe he's saying that in the larger version he didn't need more handle than the bare minimum to cover the blade. I don't think he'd have designed a different version of the knife with a blade that was only about 1/4" longer than the original.

Anyways, it doesn't seem that we'll ever find out now.

3 3/4" Caribbean here I come! :D:(:D

IIRC, Sal had said that plans for the larger Caribbean were shelved because demand for the existing model was limited. I think that’s a shame, so if folks want to show him there is interest . .
Yea and at least one variant has also been discontinued, sheepsfoot plain edge I think.

I have a plain leaf, it’s OK ... I use it mainly for kitchen tasks bc I can slice raw chicken then clean it with bleach and have no trace left, I hope they bring LC to all of the Salt models.

Interesting article recently on knife steel nerds about H1...the TLDR version is that H1 is really nothing special, doesn’t work harden and actually softens from grinding...LC is capable of much better edge holding and has excellent corrosion resistance as well.

Yea and at least one variant has also been discontinued, sheepsfoot plain edge I think.

That's too bad. I guess I'm going to have to jump on it while the jumping is good.

John said:
Interesting article recently on knife steel nerds about H1...the TLDR version is that H1 is really nothing special

With all due respect, the TLDR version is not that at all.

In the article Larrin said:
Edge retention is relatively poor but toughness is good and the corrosion resistance of H1 is excellent.

That is a far cry from your summation.

John said:
LC is capable of much better edge holding and has excellent corrosion resistance as well.

Yes, this is true by all accounts I've been exposed to.

That's too bad. I guess I'm going to have to jump on it while the jumping is good.

With all due respect, the TLDR version is not that at all.

That is a far cry from your summation.

Yes, this is true by all accounts I've been exposed to.
No, that’s pretty much accurate.

The “work hardening” story is debunked (again), there is so little nitrogen in H1 that it doesn’t really do much. The summation is basically that it’s a mild steel that has a high enough hardness that it’s viable for knives while being very corrosion resistant (as most low carbon steels are). It is nothing special compared to LC, which has a lot more nitrogen thanks to the PESR process than would be normally possible and has chromium nitirides and carbonitrides.

I quoted him verbatim. He rated three of main properties of knife steels, and H1 ranked poor in the first, good in the second, and excellent in the third. A very strange way of saying "nothing special". But the words "nothing special" do not appear in his article about H1, nor did he seem to be focusing on its performance relative to LC200N, which steel he only mentioned once, in passing. I read his article, and it sure looked like you were putting words into his mouth.

But now I see it is more likely you are simply saying that his article reinforces your own personal experience and conclusions regarding LC200N and H1. I hope to soon own a C̶a̶r̶i̶b̶b̶e̶a̶n̶ Waterway, so I will likely be able to corroborate your experience soon. Lance Clinton's video where he discussed the one month no sharpening challenge was pretty exciting, especially seeing how quickly he was able to reset that gnarly edge with the Sharpmaker!

But many people have used H1 and been very happy with it, and Spyderco has carved out a niche with their salt knives. That seems pretty special to me.

Last edited:
Back