Carl Jensen Bear Cutlery

Just came across a knife that I traded for about 10-12 years ago from the maker, Carl Jensen from Blair, NE. Carl was a big man and went by Bear Cutlery making knives part time, worked at the nuclear power plant by Ft. Calhoun, NE.
The only shows I remember seeing Carl attending were the Fremont and Lincoln gunshows where he would often have a table or two setup with his knives, if he did not have tables he would be walking the show with a couple of bandoleers full of knives he had made draped across his large frame .
I heard he had passed a couple of years ago so there will not be a chance to have him make that large bowie that I discussed with him a long time ago and never got around to it.
The one knife that I have of his is a medium sized hunter, I will try to post a picture later. He never tried to make the prettiest knives, all were users and a lot of local hunters could attest that his knives could cut.
Thought I would post this remembrance of Carl and see if anyone at the forums remembers him.

Hi, I am Bear's son. I just wanted to tell you that I happened to run across your post and thought it was very nice. Bear passed away in September of 2005 and will always be missed. Good to know that people still remember him and his knives. I have a whole bunch of his knives and still enjoy looking through them and remembering him as well. Anyway, your post was nice and very accurate in describing him. Thanks for the memories!
-Kourt Jensen

I'm Carl's sister...your post brought tears to my eyes. It's so nice to know my big brother left you with good memories and a good knife. I went to a gun and knife show today and started thinking about his knives and how much he enjoyed making them, He would come to visit and open the trunk of his car and always have neat guns and knives to show us. I miss him terribly. His sudden passing was unexpected but we'll always have our wonderful memories of him.
Eileen Jensen-Burnham

Not sure if you will see this since its been along time, I own 7 of Carl's knives. Including 2 of his big bowies. They are in a display case, and have only been taken on camping trips, Never used the big ones , but his skinners and fighters are awesome knives. Glad to have known him.

Not sure if you will see this since its been along time, I own 7 of Carl's knives. Including 2 of his big bowies. They are in a display case, and have only been taken on camping trips, Never used the big ones , but his skinners and fighters are awesome knives. Glad to have known him.
Hi magwea, I am Carl's nephew. If you are ever interested in selling any of Carl's knives I would love the opportunity to bring some back into the family.

Some pictures would be most appreciated here if possible!!!! From any of the above posters or a follow.on.poster... Thanx!!!

I am Carls little sister. I would love for you to share pictures of his knives. And the family would love to purchase any you ever come across the want or need to sell. Thank you for your post.
Emily Jensen Krambeck

Back