Carothers Chopper vs Axe

Hi all,

I've never owned a chopper before so I'm curious how they are used. A small axe and a 4-5" knife is a pretty classic combo and seems to handle woods needs quite well. The Carothers choppers are in a similar size/weight range to 15" or so axes.

Do you replace a small axe with a chopper? If so, what does the chopper do better than the axe?

Under what scenarios would you carry one vs the other?

Thanks for your input.

you can't use an axe like a machete unless you like cutting yourself open
you can't use a chopper like a hammer unless you like cutting yourself open

If you know how to use a large knife the right way in my experience you do not need a small knife or a hatchet. A large knife/chopper can pretty much cover most of the bases around camp. I have always liked large knives but there are many members that will feel the exact opposite. It is a matter of preference.

FD294B03-7006-405A-9E6B-E49B7C983543.jpeg F74B61BC-1C4A-43DA-ABF8-38C2624BE63D.jpeg 72F3188F-A337-4B08-A6C2-1E7386D9A354.jpeg 482B5F00-C750-4820-AB5B-D1D9C0088D3E.jpeg 0A8C769C-C3D8-465D-A7D0-B387BC5BCB1F.jpeg
I enjoy using a big chopper to split up rounds of firewood, and to de limb fallen trees before processing into rounds/stumps.

I recently acquired an amazing CPK HDMC (not Pictured here) but a big heavy chopper can do the work of a medium size axe, if in the right hands.
Be safe!

Hi all,

I've never owned a chopper before so I'm curious how they are used. A small axe and a 4-5" knife is a pretty classic combo and seems to handle woods needs quite well. The Carothers choppers are in a similar size/weight range to 15" or so axes.

Do you replace a small axe with a chopper? If so, what does the chopper do better than the axe?

Under what scenarios would you carry one vs the other?

Thanks for your input.

Contrary to what most are saying, I don't see the two as interchangeable. For same tasks, like limbing, spliting fire wood size pieces, random other camp tasks, they are somewhat similar in efficacy. However, for splitting anything bigger than firewood size pieces, the hatchet will be much better due to the wedging (pushing apart) effect. You wouldn't be able to lift nor swing a chopper knife with that same spine to edge profile taper more than a couple times before your wrist would give out.

Contrary to what most are saying, I don't see the two as interchangeable. For same tasks, like limbing, spliting fire wood size pieces, random other camp tasks, they are somewhat similar in efficacy. However, for splitting anything bigger than firewood size pieces, the hatchet will be much better due to the wedging (pushing apart) effect. You wouldn't be able to lift nor swing a chopper knife with that same spine to edge profile taper more than a couple times before your wrist would give out.

There is a learning curve, and endurance is built up over time.
It is not for everyone but it can be very efficient and very useful.
Axes can get boring after using a big heavy chopper often.
It can be done, It's called "work" for a reason.
;)
DB1F9B8A-20DA-452A-A798-91A4F6F02BC7.jpeg

I talked a little about the possibility of using a chopper as a replacement for a hatchet in my review of the Light Chopper (Light Chopper Review), but to sum up, you can replace a hatchet with a good chopper. It isn't as good at some tasks (splitting wood), and it is better at others (food prep), and in my opinion a good chopper doesn't make a good all around kind of knife (there is a reason that Kukris traditionally come with a smaller knife). But the big argument in favor of replacing your hatchet with a chopper is that it is fun.

Same reason that smatchet is always the answer.

I thought he was asking about medium axes like a Forest axe & not hatchets.
Hatchets for me are not useful or anything I own. I can see using them in a camping situation or for making kindling for wood stoves/ wood burning but the short handle of a hatchet offers no leverage or real impact force.

I use either the Arvika HB axe (4.5 lbs) or an old double bit axe with 2 very different profiles on each side. I am using these axes and the big heavier chopper knives for splitting & quartering BIG rounds of wood. We go thru about 12 cords of wood annually and it all gets split by hand using either an axe or a big chopper knife. It is an all year process that starts in a May when I go out cutting with a commercial chainsaw, then in the late summer months after accumulating my 20 cords of new and "permitted" firewood then I begin splitting up the dried & aged stumps from 2 years ago of prior woodcutting. This happens every year, all summer long.

It's a way of life now, but I do understand someone who has no experience doubting that they could actually use a big chopper in this way, for sure.
These big chopper knives make my life better and the work is easier because of their weight and heft. The same goes for using a 4.5 lb. axe, when it hits the aged wood, the wood has no chance against the might and impact forces from this heavy beast.
Again, I can understand some guys not understanding why we use "big heavy tools" but honestly you would be just playing around if using a light axe or a light/small knife
5F647B0E-65D8-4FD9-92C6-1336A2260A06.jpeg 537C3090-4D3A-4DAE-87D5-DCE358ED3CCD.jpeg 8BC8742D-5142-4A33-8C8B-0AADDDEF68D4.jpeg

One knife maker in particular (Gossman) has as his "Slogan & Logo" =
Sharp Hardware For Big Timber!

I thought he was asking about medium axes like a Forest axe & not hatchets.
Hatchets for me are not useful or anything I own. I can see using them in a camping situation or for making kindling for wood stoves/ wood burning but the short handle of a hatchet offers no leverage or real impact force.

I use either the Arvika HB axe (4.5 lbs) or an old double bit axe with 2 very different profiles on each side. I am using these axes and the big heavier chopper knives for splitting & quartering BIG rounds of wood. We go thru about 12 cords of wood annually and it all gets split by hand using either an axe or a big chopper knife. It is an all year process that starts in a May when I go out cutting with a commercial chainsaw, then in the late summer months after accumulating my 20 cords of new and "permitted" firewood then I begin splitting up the dried & aged stumps from 2 years ago of prior woodcutting. This happens every year, all summer long.

It's a way of life now, but I do understand someone who has no experience doubting that they could actually use a big chopper in this way, for sure.
These big chopper knives make my life better and the work is easier because of their weight and heft. The same goes for using a 4.5 lb. axe, when it hits the aged wood, the wood has no chance against the might and impact forces from this heavy beast.
Again, I can understand some guys not understanding why we use "big heavy tools" but honestly you would be just playing around if using a light axe or a light/small knife
View attachment 1349831 View attachment 1349832 View attachment 1349833

One knife maker in particular (Gossman) has as his "Slogan & Logo" =
Sharp Hardware For Big Timber!
My back and shoulders hurt just looking at that.

I think it's about choosing the right tool for the task to preserve energy and safety. When it comes to wood, I'll use a saw to delimb and break down large branches into manageable lengths, a splitting axe to split large rounds, and a midsized (~6") knife to process small to midsized rounds. I personally don't have a use for big choppers anymore. I haven't tried a CPK choppper (maybe I should...) but I did own a Junglas for a year and sold it because it was my least used knife. Choppers are really cool but almost every task you'd use a chopper for, you can accomplish more easily with another tool.

My favourite combo for backcountry wood processing is now a Silky Gomboy 240 folding saw and HDFK. This combo weighs the same as the Junglas but is more versatile, safer, and easier to use. If there is any plan to break down larger rounds, I'll throw a plastic wedge in the pack and use either a large branch or rock to hammer that thing in.

Having said all this.......... the Medium Chopper is mighty tempting lol :D

I think it's about choosing the right tool for the task to preserve energy and safety. When it comes to wood, I'll use a saw to delimb and break down large branches into manageable lengths, a splitting axe to split large rounds, and a midsized (~6") knife to process small to midsized rounds. I personally don't have a use for big choppers anymore. I haven't tried a CPK choppper (maybe I should...) but I did own a Junglas for a year and sold it because it was my least used knife. Choppers are really cool but almost every task you'd use a chopper for, you can accomplish more easily with another tool.

My favourite combo for backcountry wood processing is now a Silky Gomboy 240 folding saw and HDFK. This combo weighs the same as the Junglas but is more versatile, safer, and easier to use. If there is any plan to break down larger rounds, I'll throw a plastic wedge in the pack and use either a large branch or rock to hammer that thing in.

Having said all this.......... the Medium Chopper is mighty tempting lol :D

Agreed,
Just 2 days ago I received the nicely built Silky Gomboy folding saw at half price on the recommendation from a dirtbike friend for use in clearing trails as we ride in the mountains and come across trees down that are too big to ride over, & or for trail maintenance-

I am blown away by how light and versatile the Silky Gomboy is and how well it fits into my pack! funny you mentioned it having just received it, thank you.

I am going to try it out today for removing limbs from freshly downed trees and compare it to a big chopper. I can see that no "swinging motion of the Big chopper" might save energy & instead it will be a sawing motion.

Funny in that "old dogs can learn new tricks" this is true...5F954225-18B8-452A-AD91-687C1B0A8A36.jpeg

I agree with what’s been said about right tool for the job. My wood prep is currently done when camping or backpacking. (If it was around the homestead this answer would be different and sooner than later I hope that’s part of my life.)
All that being said when I’m in the back country safety is a priority and the amount of wood I’m processing is relatively small. In these scenarios I prefer a folding saw and CPK MC (with a smaller fixed blade as a compliment to that pair.) I’ve tried hatchets and as much as I love them on a visceral level, they don’t feel as safe in use as the MC for splitting wood. And when de-limbing I prefer the longer blade of a chopper over the smaller edge of a hatchet/small ax. I could probably make do with only a saw and a chopper, but for my needs the weight penalty of a small fixed blade is acceptable.
Car camping is a whole other discussion and though I haven’t done that in some time I’d be inclined to bring multiples of all my edged tools to experiment and practice if nothing else.

I use my LC for maple saplings and cutting blackberry at home.
I use my HDFK for splitting kindling and camp chores when car camping or winter camping (heavy).
I use my EDC, FK, or UF for splitting kindling and camp chores when hiking (lighter weight).
I own a nice Hults Bruk hatchet but almost never take it on trips.
If I had a fireplace at home and needed to split wood, I would use a maul.
I use my MC, HCMC, BC, etc. for... nothing, I sold them :D

IMHO, I would pack an axe and a chopper. Each can do things the other can't. If you are camping, a good bowie knife can do most wood jobs for you. But if you mean processing wood in general, an axe is better by far. I use my Cold Steel LaFontaine for some light-medium chopping/batoning but for a bigger job... Nothing will beat a good, solid axe. Hope this helps. : )

As mentioned; different strokes for different folks.

I've always been a fan of the LCK Large Camp Knife (blade length between 9" - 11"). For my personal preferences, it's one of the most versatile tools, but again, it comes down to preference.

The MC has become my LCK of choice. I like LCK's because they're more versatile for my uses than a hatchet/small axe.

I generally prefer not to process wood bigger than about 8" in the backwoods (typically prefer ~6" diameters), so the better chopping/splitting ability of the axes isn't a big consideration.

I'm used to using a 270mm Gyuto in the kitchen, so the length isn't an issue for most things. In the event that I really want/need a shorter blade, I always carry something with a 3" - 4" blade as well.

The long blade can be used like a machete, unlike an axe/hatchet, so for my preferences and usage, there are more pros for the chopper and no real pros for the hatchet/small axe.

Now, if I was splitting a lot of wood, I'd use a splitting maul. If I was headed to fell some trees, I'd bring a chainsaw (if they were 8" or smaller and no more than 2 or 3 of them, I might use the Behemother just for the heck of it :D).

If for some reason, I was headed to chop down some bigger trees, but had to hike a decent distance, I'd bring a large felling axe (or maybe get one of those ridiculous Silky Katanaboy saws :p).

So, for practicality, you'd want to figure out your own usage/preferences, so you can pick the right tools for the intended usage.

I can only speak for myself ... for large scale wood processing an axe/maul wins out ... but for smaller wood and camp chores the choppers are great. They are far safer to use than a small axe or hatchet (unless you get all kinds of crazy swinging it) it's much more controlled to baton a chopper than swing an axe. In a pinch I can use the choppers for smaller knife tasks but I always have a couple smaller knives anyway so not usually a need to.

But in all the years I've been using axes and knives I have seen far more people injured using an axe. I have nearly stopped packing my GB small axes and just use the choppers. Since I found the Agawa Canyon Boreal 21 folding saws (used to use a Silky but these are steps above IMO) ... it and a good chopper I can go through all the wood I'll need for a camping trip in short order and to me is a much more controlled use for splitting smaller fire sized rounds and for limbing a pole or two if needed. Plus the ability to clear a path or a patch to set up camp with a good chopper is far easier and faster and again IMO safer.

Granted my GB small to medium sized axes can be used for several chores as they takes a great edges but they just aren't nearly as versatile as a good chopper for me.

Back